This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SweetNewYear #CollectiveBias
Delicious Chicken Egg Rolls that are baked instead of fried. Served with a sauce that keeps your diet balanced and tasty!
We like egg rolls, right? And by now I bet we all know that I just don’t fry stuff. But, we really do like egg rolls! And we love to dip them in a sauce that is sweet, and hot!
It’s really interesting to see that different cuisines have many foods in common. Take this “meat and veggies” wrapped “in some type of dough”. We have something like this Iran, I know Indians have it, too. Russians, Taiwanese and probably many other nations have it too. What is fascinating though, is that you can customize them to your taste as well! Perks of homemade food, right? You make what you like and you KNOW what you’ve put in that food. This is a crucial matter to me and my family.
We love trying different types of food from everywhere. This time, I made some chicken egg rolls, which turned out wonderful! But, as you know me, I did make some changes.
With all the different foods to try everyday and knowing that almost everything I make needs to be more on the healthy side, I thought to myself: “If it’s possible to bake wings, then it’s possible to bake egg rolls, too!”. When you have something like chicken egg rolls, you are not gonna serve them plain right? The whole point of making the egg rolls is to serve them with the sauce! If the sauce is not there, why should the egg rolls be?
As we were craving some kind of sweet but hot and spicy sauce, I used chili powder (a lot) but of course you can use less chili powder if you don’t want it to be spicy. To make it sweet, as we are trying to have balance in our diet, I chose to use Truvia Natural Sweetener Spoonable, and the results were excellent! The sauce had an amazing sweet taste which was just right, not too sweet and not bland. Just perfect amount of sweetness that was needed to match with chicken egg rolls. What I like about this sweetener product is that it tastes good, is easy to use and has diversity. I think it’s awesome that it’s possible to use it in both sweet and savory dishes.
If you have never made egg rolls because you think they are difficult to make, I am telling you, they’re super easy! Here is a step by step photo of how to roll them! Easy, isn’t it?
Enjoy these super delicious chicken egg rolls with sweet and hot sauce. Another take out food that is better for you when it’s homemade!
Chicken Egg rolls with Sweet and Hot Sauce
Chicken Egg Rolls:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken breast cut into small strips
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1 carrot julienned
- 6-7 white button mushrooms sliced
- Egg rolls
Sweet and Hot Sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder*
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 - 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Truvia Natural Sweetener Spoonable
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp corn starch
Chicken Egg rolls:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Saute chicken breast until cooked.
- Add bell pepper, carrot and mushroom and cook for 2 minutes.
- Place an egg roll on a board, put some chicken and vegetables on it then roll as it's shown in the photo.
- Brush all the prepared egg rolls with some olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot with the sauce.
Sweet and Hot Sauce:
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Saute ginger and garlic for 30 seconds. Add chili powder and stir.
- Add soy sauce, Truvia Natural Sweetener.
- Mix water and corn starch in a bowl then add it into the sauce.
- Let the sauce simmer until thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
- Keep refrigerated up to a week.
You can find all the ingredients in Walmart. You can find Truvia Natural sweetener Spoonable in the sugar section.