These chocolate glazed baked donuts will be your new favorite donuts! No frying required so you can just make them in big batches and enjoy having delicious donuts!
Honestly, when we made these, we were not sure if they would turn out this delicious!
I mean, we are talking about baked instead of fried. Although I just don’t fry stuff at home, it’s still a known fact that, in many cases, fried is better than baked, right? If it wasn’t for health reasons, people would just eat fried food everyday.
By now though, we all know that I just don’t do deep frying – like when I made these sweet and sour baked chicken wings or the Chicken Egg Rolls which were very well received in our home, even though they were not cooked in tons of oil and, thank God, there wasn’t a mess to clean up afterwards. Even Crab Rangoon. If you want, you can bake it. Then instead of two, you can have three, or four, or ten.
But those are all savory. What about donuts? Can we live without donuts? Those gorgeous scrumptious rings of deliciousness that can be frosted with whatever the heart desires and never let you down, what about those?
My maman and I baked them! And YES. They are so delicious, so soft and the texture is quite the same (as the recipe uses instant yeast). The only difference is that we didn’t use a gallon of oil and we didn’t feel guilty nibbling on them! The batter is like cake batter and doesn’t need to rest.
My maman is here and how awesome is that? We are back in Istanbul for a short time and I have my parents here with me and we are all super happy! You all know I missed my maman so much as I talked about her at least once a week on Persian Saturdays! Now she is here and we bake together and cook together and are having the best mother-daughter moments!
I know you’ve been staring at the chocolate glaze and are just thinking: “Ok, enough. Tell me about that chocolate glaze!” That is my maman’s ganache that she has been making for years and has never failed to impress people. Always silky, glossy, velvety and so super chocolaty that I can literally have a bowl of it without even bothering to use a spoon!
Ok, enough of me talking! What’s your favorite glaze for a donut?
Chocolate Glazed Baked Donuts
- 2 cups minus 4 tbsp AP flour
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsp warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup plain yogurt Greek yogurt will work as well
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz semi sweet good quality chocolate chopped
- 4 oz heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C. Coat the donuts pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients including instant yeast.
- In a small bowl, mix all the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fill the donuts pan with the batter and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the donuts from the pan and let them cool.
- Dip them in ganache and let the icing set.
- In a sauce pan, heat the cream until just starts to bubble around the edges. Turn the heat off and add the chocolate. Using a spoon, mix until combined and smooth.
Like What you see? Check these out!