Croissant bread pudding is perfect for breakfast or brunch. Crispy on the top and gooey at the bottom, this bread pudding is a must try.
I love bread puddings. The ooey gooey center and the comforting flavor is what makes bread pudding a perfect choice for breakfast or dessert. Plus, it's so easy to adjust the flavors and make different bread puddings such as this pumpkin bread pudding and you can also use different types of bread such as white bread and French bread, or you can go fancy and make challah bread pudding - another one of my all time favorites.
This post is sponsored by SunButter. As always, all opinions are mine. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Unicorns in the Kitchen.
An easy bread pudding recipe made with croissants
Today, I'm going to show you another bread pudding recipe that has become a family favorite: croissant bread pudding! The buttery flavor and flaky texture of croissants make bread pudding so much better. This bread pudding is extra creamy on the inside thanks to the egg and milk custard the holds the croissants together and is flaky and a little crispy on the outside.
Croissant bread pudding ingredients
For this easy bread pudding recipe, you need:
- Chocolate chips
It's always best to use day old croissants or leftover bread to make bread pudding since they hold their shape the better and make a delicious bread pudding with a gooey center.
How to make croissant bread pudding
Cut your croissants in half using a bread knife and place them in an oven safe baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk milk, vanilla, sugar and eggs. Pour this milk mixture over the croissants and add some chocolate chips. Let it sit for one to two hours. Preheat the oven to 350F and place the dish on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for thirty to forty-five minutes. Mix SunButter and melted coconut oil in a small bowl, then add in maple syrup and pour it all over the bread pudding. Serve warm or cold.
I used SunButter to make this delicious drizzle for the bread pudding. SunButter is U.S. grown sunflower butter that’s free of the top eight food allergens, including peanuts and tree nuts so it’s school safe! It also packs as much protein and more micronutrients than traditional nut butters and contains less saturated fat.
I love the versatility of SunButter - it can be enjoyed as a standalone snack, spread on a sandwich or incorporated into a recipe - like this one - making it a great option for the whole family. SunButter is creamy, nutty and has a wonderful flavor that compliments the bread pudding really well. You can make the drizzle ahead of time and pour it on the bread pudding before serving.
Can I freeze bread pudding?
Unfortunately freezing bread pudding will doesn't work since it has a milk based custard. Because of the custard-y texture that bread pudding has, it's best to have it within two days of making it.
Want to jazz things up in this croissant bread pudding recipe?
There are so many ways to modify a bread pudding recipe. Adding a handful of walnuts can make it a bit crunchy or adding some cinnamon can turn it into a perfect fall breakfast option. You can add different ingredients to make this easy croissant bread pudding with different flavors such as:
- Lemon zest
- Caramel sauce
- Fruit such as apple, blueberries or cherries
Notes and tips to make chocolate chip croissant bread pudding
- Use croissants that are at least a day or two. They're easier to cut and make a nice crispy top.
- Let the croissant soak in the milk and egg mixture for at least an hour. You can also prepare this ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight and bake in the morning.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for two days.
- You can use evaporated milk instead of regular milk in this recipe. This will result in a creamier and denser croissant bread pudding.
- If the coconut oil you're using is solid, melt it in the microwave or on the stove top before using.
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Croissant Bread Pudding
- 5 Croissants See notes
- 2 cups Milk 2% or 1%
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup SunButter
- 3 tablespoon Coconut Oil Melted
- 5 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- Cut the croissants in half and place them in an oven safe dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk, vanilla, sugar and eggs very well.
- Pour the milk mixture over the croissants and top with chocolate chips. Refrigerate the bread pudding for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the bread pudding on a baking sheet on the counter while the oven preheats.
- Once the oven is hot, bake the bread pudding for 30 to 40 minutes until it's completely cooked. Serve with SunButter drizzle.
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle over the bread pudding while serving.
- It's always best to use day old croissants as they hold their shape better and result in better texture.
- You can use evaporated milk instead of regular milk in this recipe.