Learn how to make a delicious date cake that’s perfect for a midday snack or breakfast. This date cake recipe is easy and calls for a few ingredients.
We love using dates in different recipes because of their flavor and sweetness. Date walnut babka has been loved by so many of you and this chocolate covered stuffed dates recipe is a staple snack recipe for so many of us. Today, we’re going to show you how to use dates in a cake and make this delicious date and walnut cake.
What is special about this date cake?
- It’s made with dates. Dates are actually really good for you and they give a delicious flavor to baked goods. They hold their shape while baking and you can taste them in every bite.
- This date cake recipe calls for walnuts which gives a bit of crunch to each slice of the cake and makes it very tasty.
- It stays well for a few days and you can have it with coffee, tea or even a glass for milk. Because of walnut and dates, this cake is perfect for kids as a snack or even breakfast.
What do you need to make date and walnut cake?
For an easy date cake, you need the following ingredients:
- Dates: You can use any kind of dates but make sure they are pitted.
- Butter: Make sure the butter is at room temperature so it mixes easily.
- Eggs: Always have eggs at room temperature for baking.
- Sugar: The regular granulated sugar will work perfectly for this date cake recipe.
- Flour, baking powder and baking soda: Use all purpose flour and make sure your baking powder and baking soda are not stale.
- Walnuts: Chop the walnuts into smaller pieces but not too small so they are still crunchy in the date cake.
Have all the ingredients ready and at room temperature before starting to bake. This way you;ll be sure that nothing is missing and all the ingredients are at hand.
What kind of dates should I use to make date cake?
You can use different types of dates in this cake recipe including Medjool and Deglet Nour dates. Delget Nour dates keep their shape well while baking but they need to be soaked in hot water before you bake with them.
There’s a good article on Epicurious about everything you need to know about dates. Check it out to learn about this delicious fruit.
How to make date cake in the oven
Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Date cake is made almost like every other cake out there but there’s an extra step here which is soaking the dates in boiling water for about twenty minutes. This is for the date to soften and have a better texture in the cake. If you’re using Medjool dates, this step is not necessary since they are already soft. Once you drain the water, chop the dates and set the aside.
Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl followed by the eggs. Mix in all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda and finish by folding in chopped dates and walnuts. Transfer the batter into the baking pan and bake until the tester comes out clean. Cool the cake completely before slicing since this cake is full of date and walnuts and will fall apart if sliced before it’s completely cool.
Can I frost my date cake?
You absolutely can! You can frost this easy date cake using your favorite frosting or this cream cheese frosting recipe. I love topping this cake with some caramel sauce, too. The flavor combination of caramel and dates is simply perfect.
Can I freeze this date and walnut cake?
Unfortunately no. This cake does not freeze well and loses its texture and flavor. It’s best to have this cake fresh within three days.
Want to jazz things up in this date cake recipe?
Add 1/2 cup shredded coconut with dates and walnuts to this cake for more flavor. If you like things chocolate-y, add 1/2 cup chocolate chips at the end after adding the walnuts.
Date Cake with Walnuts
Learn how to make a delicious date cake that's perfect for a midday snack or breakfast. This date cake recipe is easy and calls for a few ingredients.
- 8 ounce dates pitter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
Place the dates and hot water in a bowl and let them site for 10 minutes. This helps the dates to soften. Drain and chop the dates after then minutes.
In a large bowl whip the butter and sugar until fluffy and light.
Add in eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well until fully incorporated.
Add in flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix using a wooden spoon.
Fold in chopped dates and walnuts. Do not over mix.
Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean with very few crumbs.
Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Transfer it to a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.