Banana date shake is a delicious and healthy shake that's ready in 5 minutes and gives you enough energy for the morning! This Persian style shake is naturally sweetened.
If you've been a long time reader of the blog, you know we have a great collection of milkshake recipes. From saffron milkshake to healthy milkshakes, you can find all kinds of delicious treats. You can also check out our basic post on how to make a milkshake. This Persian style shake is one of my favorites, it's healthy with no added sugar or ice cream, so good for mornings!
Table Of Contents:
About this recipe
Majoon literally means "a combination of items" and in this concept, majoun is a Persian energy drink made with bananas, dates, nuts and a few other ingredients. This is one of my all time favorite drinks for a few reasons:
- It's a healthy drink made with wholesome ingredients.
- There is no added sugar. This drink is sweetened naturally thanks to bananas and dates.
- It's very filling and perfect for a quick breakfast on the go!
The flavors of this shake takes me back to Iran. There was this place in Tehran that was around for over half a century and would make the best majoun. We used to go there a couple of time a month and get large glasses of majoon. Then we were full for many many hours!
The main ingredients to make majoon are the following:
- Bananas: It's best to use bananas that are not too brown or soft.
- Dates: I love using medjool dates to make majoon, but Noor Deglet dates work as well. Check out this article to learn more about different types of dates.
- Shredded coconut: I use unsweetened shredded coconut as I like my date shake to be sugar free.
- Milk: Whole milk always gives you creamier milkshake but you can use 2% or 1% milk as well.
- Sesame seeds: Top you Persian date shake with some roasted sesame seeds for a kick in flavor and some crunch!
Depending on your preference, you can add other ingredients to this Persian banana date shake. Here are a few ideas:
- Nuts: Add walnuts, pistachios or almonds to the shake before blending.
- Honey: Want your shake to be sweeter? Add one tablespoon honey to the ingredients.
- Cinnamon: A dash of cinnamon adds so much flavor and warmth to this date banana shake.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use almond, cashew or coconut milk to make this date shake.
It's best to serve this shake fresh so I don't advise you making it ahead of time since it would lose its flavor and creamy texture.
Slice the bananas and freeze them for at least one hour and then make the shake with the frozen bananas.
More milkshake recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Persian Banana Date Shake (Majoon)
- 2 bananas peeled and cut into chunks
- 5 medjool dates pitted
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Place the bananas and date in a blender.
- Add in the shredded coconut and milk.
- Blend on high for 40 to 60 seconds until smooth.
- Divide between two glasses and top with sesame seeds and cinnamon if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Use almond, cashew, coconut or oat milk instead of regular milk to make this recipe vegan.
- You can add nuts such as walnuts, pistachios or almonds to the mixture before blending.
This shake was fantastic! I would definitely make it again for breakfast.
What a great way to sweeten a smoothie. I usually just let the banana do the trick but this is a great alternative.
That's how my perfect breakfast looks like. I LOVE that there is no added sugar in this shake!
Healthy and Nutritious and perfect energy drink to start the day. Breakfast at its best.
This is the way I make my shake but do not add the sesame seeds, starting tomarroew I will add them I bet it makes the smoothie taste incredible and toasty.
Nart at Cooking with Nart
Looks delicious. I've seen a lot of people sweeten their smoothies with dates but have yet to try that myself. Gonna give this a go!
Such a delicious start to the day! I love that the shake is naturally sweetened with dates. So easy too!