Banana date shake is a delicious and healthy shake that gives you enough energy for the morning! This Persian style shake is naturally sweetened.
If you’ve been a long time reader of the blog, you know we have a great collection of milkshake recipes. From saffron milkshake to healthy milkshakes, you can find all kinds of delicious treats. This Persian style shake is one of my favorites, it’s healthy with no added sugar or ice cream, so good for mornings!
Majoon – Persian banana date shake
Majoon literally means “a combination of items” and in this concept, majoun is a Persian energy drink made with bananas, dates, nuts and a few other ingredients. This is one of my all time favorite drinks for a few reasons:
- It’s a healthy drink made with wholesome ingredients.
- There is no added sugar. This drink is sweetened naturally thanks to bananas and dates.
- It’s very filling and perfect for a quick breakfast on the go!
The flavors of this shake takes me back to Iran. There was this place in Tehran that was around for over half a century and would make the best majoun. We used to go there a couple of time a month and get large glasses of majoon. Then we were full for many many hours!
The main ingredients to make majoon are the following:
- Bananas: It’s best to use bananas that are not too brown or soft.
- Dates: I love using medjool dates to make majoon, but Noor Deglet dates work as well. Check out this article to learn more about different types of dates.
- Shredded coconut: I use unsweetened shredded coconut as I like my date shake to be sugar free.
- Milk: You can use whole, low fat or non fat milk for this recipe. If you’d like to make this recipe vegan, simply use almond, coconut, cashew or oat milk instead of regular milk.
- Sesame seeds: Top you Persian date shake with some roasted sesame seeds for a kick in flavor and some crunch!
Jazz things up!
Depending on your preference, you can add other ingredients to this Persian banana date shake. Here are a few ideas:
- Nuts: Add walnuts, pistachios or almonds to the shake before blending.
- Honey: Want your shake to be sweeter? Add one tablespoon honey to the ingredients.
- Cinnamon: A dash of cinnamon adds so much flavor and warmth to this date banana shake.
Persian Banana Date Shake (Majoon)
- 2 bananas peeled and cut into chunks
- 5 medjool dates pitted
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Place the bananas and date in a blender.
- Add in the shredded coconut and milk.
- Blend on high for 40 to 60 seconds until smooth.
- Divide between two glasses and top with sesame seeds and cinnamon if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Use almond, cashew, coconut or oat milk instead of regular milk to make this recipe vegan.
- You can add nuts such as walnuts, pistachios or almonds to the mixture before blending.