This easy Mediterranean flatbread recipe is a keeper. It's a simple flatbread recipe that's topped with delicious vegetables, perfect for any day of the week.
Speaking of Mediterranean recipes, what's your favorite? We're getting rave reviews on our Chicken shawarma, tabouli salad and chicken souvlaki which are some of our favorites as well. Today's recipe is an easy Mediterranean flatbread that's topped with hummus and some tasty veggies. It's ready in a short time and makes a tasty dinner.
This post is sponsored by Lantana Foods. All opinions are mine.
A flatbread with Mediterranean flavors
This homemade flatbread is so simple and easy. It's topped with many delicious topping that make this flatbread so tasty and perfect for summer. The best thing about this Mediterranean flatbread recipe is that you can customize it and use different ingredients depending on your preference or whatever you have at hand.
I love serving this Mediterranean flatbread as a midday snack or a light lunch with some salad. If you're looking for a light and healthy recipe, then this is going to be your new favorite. It's simple, easy and absolutely tasty!
Ingredients to make Mediterranean flatbread
To make this Mediterranean flatbread, you need a few ingredients:
- Pizza dough
- Lantana hummus: You can use any flavor of Lantana Hummus for this recipe. I used white bean hummus for this recipe but black bean hummus would work as well.
- Tomatoes: For this flatbread recipe, I suggest using cherry or grape tomatoes.
- Artichoke: Marinated artichokes work best as they have so much flavor.
- Olives: I used green stuffed olives but any kind of pitted olives can work in this recipe.
- Pine nuts: Pine nuts give such nice crunch to the flatbread, make sure to toast them before adding them.
Mediterranean flatbread dough recipe
To make this flatbread, you can either use a homemade dough or a store-bought one. If you have a favorite pizza dough recipe, you can definitely use that. This time I used store-bought fresh pizza dough. It's a good shortcut when you don't want to spend the time making the dough from scratch. You can also use pre-made pizza crusts and simply heat them a bit in the oven according to the packaging.
How to make Mediterranean flatbread
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Using your hands, spread the pizza dough on a pizza pan. Spread some olive oil on the dough and bake it in the oven for about 13 minutes until it's light brown and cooked. Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a hot skillet over medium high heat until they are light brown and toasted. Once pine nuts are toasted, they taste buttery and add so much flavor to the flatbread.
Take the crust out of the oven and spread hummus all over it. Top the flatbread and hummus with marinated artichoke, tomatoes, olives and toasted pine nuts. Cut into slices and serve immediately.
What to serve with this dish
Mediterranean flatbread is a light lunch or dinner that can be served with a tasty side dish such as Mediterranean salad, cucumber tomato avocado salad or Greek potatoes. Since this flatbread is topped with hummus and cold veggies, you can slice it into small pieces and serve it as an appetizer or a snack.
Want to jazz things up in this Mediterranean flatbread?
As I mentioned above, this flatbread recipe is very easy to customize. You can add other toppings such as:
- Greens like arugula or lettuce
- Roasted vegetables such as pepper, onion, eggplant and zucchini
- Grilled chicken or steak
How to store this Mediterranean flatbread
Store the leftovers in an airtight glass container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. You can serve it cold or reheat it in the oven at 220°F for 10-15 minutes.
Can I make this flatbread ahead of time?
I prefer to make this Mediterranean flatbread right before serving because the warm flatbread complements the hummus and toppings. I suggest you make this dish an hour before serving if you want to make it ahead of time.
You can even make this flatbread on the grill during the summer. It would be perfect for a summer evening gathering with friends and family!
Mediterranean Flatbread Recipe
- 1 lb pizza dough homemade or store bought
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pack Lantana hummus
- ¾ cup grape tomatoes halved
- ½ cup marinated artichoke hearts
- ½ cup olives pitted
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Heat the oven to 450F.
- Using your hands, spread the pizza dough on a pizza pan. Brush with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 13 minutes until light brown and cooked.
- Take the crust out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Spread Lantana hummus on the flatbread and top with tomatoes, artichokes and olives.
- Place a small pan over medium high heat and toast the pine nuts, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pine nuts to the flatbread and top with parsley.
- Slice and serve immediately.
- You can use black or green olives for this recipe.
- Add grilled chicken or steak to the flatbread if you'd like to add some protein.