Take a new twist on a good old favorite. This Strawberry Cornbread is delicious and very simple to make. It’s served with an irresistible homemade strawberry sauce!
So, here is the first cornbread recipe of 2017!
I know, we have just entered the pumpkin craze but I simply couldn’t wait until November to share this strawberry cornbread recipe with you. I know, this is not a traditional cornbread recipe but, hey, sometimes a twist is what makes things better, right?
I actually prepared this cornbread over the summer when I had tons of strawberries. Being a food blogger gives me the chance to think of new recipes all the time and most of the time, the result is quite satisfying.
I also made a homemade strawberry sauce to serve the cornbread with but you can also simply serve it with honey. What I love the most about this strawberry cornbread is the strawberries on top. They are juicy and give a great flavor to the cornbread.
Notes and tips for making this strawberry cornbread:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and place the cast iron skillet in the oven. Leaving the cast iron skillet in the oven and letting it become hot will help the cornbread form a nice crust.
- You can also make this cornbread in a cake pan or a glass oven safe dish. If you’re planning to make it in a glass oven safe dish, you don’t need to leave the dish in the oven while preheating.
- Don’t have buttermilk in the fridge? Pour 1 cup of milk in a bowl, pour 2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice and stir well. then let it sit for 10 minutes. Your buttermilk is ready!
Looking for more delicious recipes?
- Baked French Toast with Berry Compote
- Mixed Berry Granola Parfait
- Healthy Strawberry Milkshake
- Strawberry Cream Swiss Roll
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
Tools used to make this strawberry cornbread recipe:
- Cast Iron Skillet : If you don’t own a cast iron skillet, try this 12 inch one, I love the quality and it works forever!
- Mixing Bowls: These mixing bowls are a great choice. Their sizes are perfect for any type of dish you’re planning to make.
- Whisk: A good whisk is always needed in the kitchen, this one is my favorite.
Strawberry Cornbread with Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup Corn Flour
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 4 tbsp Butter Melted
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 6 Strawberries Washed and halved
Homemade Strawberry Sauce:
- 2 cups Strawberries Washed and halved
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place a 12 inch cast iron skillet in the middle rack of the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl mix corn flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix melted butter, egg, vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- Add in wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix until combined. Do not over mix.
- Carefully take the cast iron skillet out of the oven, pour the cornbread batter in the skillet and top it with strawberry halves.
- Place the cast iron skillet in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
Meanwhile make the strawberry sauce:
- In a small pot, mix strawberries and sugar. Cook on medium heat until it's fully cooked.
- Mash the strawberries using a masher or pulse a few times in a blender.
- Once the cornbread is ready, let it cool for 10 minutes and then serve with strawberry sauce.
Have you made this recipe? Let us know by commenting and rating on this recipe. Take a picture and tag @unicornsinthekitchen and #unicornsinthekitchen for a chance to be featured!