This classic Sweet Potato Casserole is a must-have for Thanksgiving. It’s easy, fluffy and perfectly sweet. Pecans add just the right amount of crunch!
If you’ve been following our Thanksgiving recipes, you know we have many tasty options such as homemade stuffing, spiced turkey and of course, a delicious turkey gravy. This sweet potato casserole with marshmallows is also one of our favorites!
Sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and pecans
Sweet potato casserole is one of the most common dishes served at Thanksgiving. The combination of sweet potatoes, pecans and marshmallows is great for fall especially for gatherings and parties. Some serve this traditional dish as a side dish for Thanksgiving and some serve it for dessert. It doesn’t matter how you serve it because everyone will come back for seconds!
This classic sweet potato casserole recipe is a keeper because it results in a sweet and savory creamy mashed sweet potatoes whipped with cinnamon and maple syrup, with a dreamy topping made of brown sugar, marshmallows and pecans.
How to prepare sweet potatoes for sweet potato casserole
You can use two different methods to cook your sweet potatoes:
- Stove top: Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into cubes and place them in a large pot. Cover the sweet potatoes with water and bring it to boil over medium heat. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until fully cooked. Drain the water and let the sweet potatoes cool.
- Oven: Wash the sweet potatoes and pierce them several times with a fork. Rub some olive oil all over the sweet potatoes and wrap them in foil. Bake in the oven at 400F for about 30 to 40 minutes until fully cooked.
How to make sweet potato casserole with pecans and marshmallows
Start with cooking the sweet potatoes in the oven or on the stove. Then mash them really well in a food processor or with a potato masher or even a fork. If you are using anything other than a food processor, make sure the potatoes are completely smooth. That will give you the creamiest sweet potato casserole ever.
Next, added an egg and maple syrup. By now you definitely know that I’m not dogmatic about following recipes to the letter, so if you don’t have maple syrup or just feel like a substitution, I suggest using agave, brown sugar or honey. All three will work just as fine.
Now comes the fun part: Marshmallows! Now, this part is totally optional but I wouldn’t skip it. I love the flavor and the texture of melted marshmallows. Some would top the casserole with marshmallows but I just folded them into the sweet potato batter because the texture matches better. I save the top for the crunchy texture!
To top the sweet potato casserole,use brown sugar and chopped pecans, just simply sprinkling them on top. Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes and served it warm. I assure you that this sweet potato casserole is amazingly good, whether cold or warm.
Can I make sweet potato casserole ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can make this sweet potato casserole with pecans up to three days ahead of time and simply reheat it in the oven or microwave when ready to serve.
Can I freeze sweet potato casserole?
Yes, You can easily freeze sweet potato casserole after you cook it. Simply leave the marshmallows out and store the sweet potato casserole in an airtight container.
Thaw the frozen sweet potato casserole in the fridge overnight and, when ready to bake, preheat the oven to 250 and top the sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. Then, heat in the oven for 30 minutes.
Notes and tips for making sweet potato casserole with marshmallows
- You can cook sweet potatoes on the stove or in the oven. Both methods work, but the stove top is quicker.
- I folded the mini marshmallows in the mashed sweet potatoes but you can also simply put them on top with brown sugar and pecans.
- You can toast the pecans ahead of time in the oven or in a pan for a crunchier texture.
- How to store sweet potato casserole? Store sweet potato casserole in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows and Pecans
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Place the sweet potato cubes in a large pot and cover with water. Place on medium high heat and boil until fully cooked.
- Drain the excess water and let the sweet potatoes cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, mash them in a food processor. Add in egg, maple syrup, cinnamon and ginger. Mix well.
- Gently fold in mini marshmallows.
- Fill a casserole dish with the batter and top it with pecans, more marshmallows and brown sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.