This homemade stuffing recipe is a show stopper! Juicy mushrooms mixed with tasty Gruyere and shallots makes the best stuffing!
Check out our amazing collection of Thanksgiving recipes for plenty of must-try dishes! Start with spiced turkey and eat your way through turkey gravy recipe and triple cheese mashed potatoes and enjoy the leftovers with a delicious Thanksgiving sandwich! Whatever you do, be sure not to forget the stuffing.
An easy mushroom stuffing for Thanksgiving
I always wonder why we don’t eat stuffing/dressing year round. The combinations of flavors are endless and everyone loves it!
Ever since I married Kyle and started doing Thanksgiving dinner, I have been trying different flavors for stuffing as it’s one of my favorite side dishes. Today, I have this easy homemade stove top stuffing with mushrooms here on the blog. This easy stuffing recipe is vegetarian and full of awesome flavors. I would call it a fancier stuffing that’s still super simple to make. Add a little bit of tarragon and your stuffing will be the star of the table!
Why is this homemade stuffing recipe a winner?
I love this stuffing recipe for three reasons:
- It’s super easy, super simple and requires minimal work.
- It contains really delicious ingredients (we’re talking mushrooms and Gruyere) which elevates this stuffing recipe above the flavor profile of a traditional stuffing.
- It’s made on the stove top, which means no oven space is required and you can make it while the turkey is roasting in the oven.
How to make homemade stuffing
To make stuffing from scratch, you need onions, shallots, garlic, celery, mushrooms, vegetable stock, croutons and Gruyere cheese. Of course, you’ll need butter, because this is Thanksgiving and we do butter for Thanksgiving mushroom stuffing!
Start with melting butter in some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute shallots, garlic, onion and celery until translucent then add mushrooms. Cook for about ten minutes until the vegetables start releasing their juices. Add in the bread cubes and mix well with the mushroom mixture. Then, add in vegetable stock and keep stirring well. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes and stir occasionally. Serve this side dish warm with some delicious turkey gravy!
How can I make homemade stuffing in the oven?
Making stuffing in the oven is pretty easy. First, preheat the oven to 350F. Make the mushroom mixture by sauteing onion, garlic, shallot, celery and mushrooms. Put the croutons in a large bowl and add in the mushroom mixture. Add in the spices and vegetable stock and mix very well using a large spoon. Stir in the Gruyere cheese and transfer everything to a large baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Notes and tips to make the best homemade stuffing:
- I used store bought croutons to make this recipe but you can of course make your own homemade croutons using white bread or baguette.
- Almost all types of mushrooms would work for this recipe. I like to use a combination of baby bella and white button mushrooms.
- Tarragon is optional in this recipe, however I strongly suggest you use it as it gives such a delicate flavor to the dish. Fresh tarragon is preferred but you can find dried tarragon in the spice section of many supermarkets.
- This is a stove top stuffing recipe which would be perfect for Thanksgiving day when there’s something baking in the oven all day long.
- This is a vegetarian stuffing recipe, however, you can use chicken broth instead of vegetable stock for a non-vegetarian version.
- For gluten free stuffing, please use gluten free bread cubes or croutons and gluten free vegetable or chicken stock.
Looking for more Thanksgiving recipes?
- APPLE GALETTE RECIPE
- HOMEMADE CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES
- ROSEMARY CHEDDAR CORNBREAD
- Apple Sausage Stuffing Recipe
Easy Homemade Stuffing (Stove Top Method)
This Easy Homemade Stuffing is a show stopper! Juicy mushrooms mixed with tasty Gruyere and shallots makes the best stuffing!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups croutons
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
Place a large pan on the stove, turn the heat to medium.
Add olive oil and butter into the pan, once the butter is melted, add the onions to the pan and stir until softened and translucent.
Add in the shallot and garlic. Stir and cook for 5-8 minutes.
Add in celery and cook for 15 more minutes.
Add in mushrooms, cook for 10 minutes until their juice is released.
Add in dried tarragon, salt and pepper. Stir well.
Add croutons and mix well. Pour the vegetable stock slowly on the stuffing and mix.
Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Mix in shredded gruyer cheese and once it's fully combined, transfer to your serving dish.
Serve warm with extra shredded gruyer.
To bake the stuffing in the oven instead of stove top method:
- Preheat the oven to 350f.
- After mixing in the croutons and stock, give it a stir and add in the gruyer.
- Transfer the stuffing to an oven safe dish, cover and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes.
- Serve warm.