This homemade stuffing recipe is a show stopper. Juicy mushrooms mixed with tasty Gruyere and shallots makes the best stuffing recipe.
Check out our amazing collection of Thanksgiving recipes for plenty of must-try dishes! Start with spiced roasted turkey and eat your way through turkey gravy recipe and garlic mashed potatoes and enjoy the leftovers with a delicious Thanksgiving sandwich! Whatever you do, be sure not to forget this amazing stuffing recipe, it’s cheesy and tasty!
An easy mushroom stuffing for Thanksgiving
I always wonder why we don’t eat stuffing/dressing year round. The combinations of flavors are endless and everyone loves it! I have been trying different flavors for stuffing as it’s one of my favorite side dishes.
Today, I have this easy homemade stove top stuffing with mushrooms here on the blog. This easy stuffing recipe is vegetarian and full of awesome flavors. I would call it a fancier stuffing that’s still super simple to make. Add a little bit of tarragon and your crouton stuffing will be the star of the table. You can serve this tasty stuffing with some herb roasted turkey breast or slow cooker turkey breast and some delicious homemade cranberry sauce to make a memorable thanksgiving feat.
Why is this homemade stuffing recipe a winner?
I love this stuffing recipe for three reasons:
- It’s super easy, super simple and requires minimal work.
- It contains really delicious ingredients (we’re talking mushrooms and Gruyere) which elevates this stuffing recipe above the flavor profile of a traditional stuffing.
- It’s made on the stove top, which means no oven space is required and you can make it while the turkey is roasting in the oven.
What do I need to make this recipe?
To make stuffing from scratch, you need the following ingredients:
- Vegetable stock
- Gruyere cheese
Of course, you’ll need butter, because this is Thanksgiving and we do butter for Thanksgiving mushroom stuffing. You can use margarine instead of butter if you prefer. Some classic stuffing recipes call for poultry seasoning, however, in this recipe I’ve only used tarragon, salt and pepper since mushrooms and cheese have a lot of flavor within them.
What kind of bread is best for stuffing?
I used store-bought croutons to make this stuffing recipe. However, if you use stale bread and toast it yourself, the stuffing is going to be very, very delicious. To do so, you can use almost any kind of bread. My favorites are French, Italian or plain white bread. Make sure the bread is stale and not freshly baked otherwise the stuffing will be soggy.
How to make homemade stuffing recipe
- Start with melting butter in some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute shallots, garlic, onion and celery until translucent.
- Add mushrooms. and cook for about ten minutes until the vegetables start releasing their juices.
- Add in the croutons and mix well with the mushroom mixture.
- Next, add in vegetable stock and keep stirring well.
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Serve this side dish warm.
How can I make homemade stuffing in the oven?
Making stuffing casserole in the oven is pretty easy and if you have space in the oven, you can use this method to make homemade stuffing with croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Make the mushroom mixture by sauteing onion, garlic, shallot, celery and mushrooms.
- Put the croutons in a large bowl and add in the mushroom mixture.
- Add in the spices and vegetable stock and mix very well using a large spoon.
- Stir in the Gruyere cheese and transfer everything to a large baking dish or a casserole dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Can I freeze stuffing?
Yes! We all love Thanksgiving leftovers, don’t we? But sometimes by the time we get to them, they might go bad. Luckily, this homemade stuffing freezes very well. Simply portion it out and freeze it for up to 3 months. To serve, heat the oven to 350ºF and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until it’s heated through. If you think the stuffing is a bit dry, add some vegetable or chicken broth to it.
Notes and tips to make the best homemade stuffing:
- I used store bought croutons to make this recipe but you can of course make your own homemade croutons using white bread or baguette.
- Almost all types of mushrooms would work for this recipe. I like to use a combination of baby bella and white button mushrooms.
- Tarragon is optional in this dressing recipe, however I strongly suggest you use it as it gives such a delicate flavor to the dish. Fresh tarragon is preferred but you can find dried tarragon in the spice section of many supermarkets.
- This is a stove top stuffing recipe which would be perfect for Thanksgiving day when there’s something baking in the oven all day long.
- This is a vegetarian stuffing recipe, however, you can use chicken broth instead of vegetable stock for a non-vegetarian version.
- For gluten free stuffing, please use gluten free bread cubes or croutons and gluten free vegetable or chicken stock.
Looking for more Thanksgiving recipes?
- APPLE GALETTE RECIPE
- HOMEMADE CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES
- ROSEMARY CHEDDAR CORNBREAD
- Apple Sausage Stuffing Recipe
Easy Homemade Stuffing (Stove Top Method)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups croutons
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- Place a large pan on the stove, turn the heat to medium.
- Add olive oil and butter into the pan, once the butter is melted, add the onions to the pan and stir until softened and translucent.
- Add in the shallot and garlic. Stir and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add in celery and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Add in mushrooms, cook for 10 minutes until their juice is released.
- Add in dried tarragon, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add croutons and mix well. Pour the vegetable stock slowly on the stuffing and mix.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Mix in shredded gruyer cheese and once it's fully combined, transfer to your serving dish.
- Serve warm with extra shredded gruyer.
- Preheat the oven to 350f.
- After mixing in the croutons and stock, give it a stir and add in the gruyer.
- Transfer the stuffing to an oven safe dish, cover and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes.
- Serve warm.