This slow cooker turkey breast recipe is simple method that will always give you juicy and moist turkey breast with minimal preparation. It’s perfect for Thanksgiving and the holidays!
Every year, I get super excited about preparing Thanksgiving recipe and this year is no exception. From Persian spiced turkey and herb roasted turkey breast to cheesy scalloped potatoes and everything in between, I love preparing for the holidays!
Cooking turkey breast in a slow cooker
If you’re not planning to make a whole turkey for any reason this thanksgiving dinner, you will love this post. Cooking turkey breast in a slow cooker is a essential technique to know, especially if you’re looking for easy, fuss free recipes. If you’re making turkey for just a few people, this slow cooker turkey breast recipe would be perfect for your party.
How big should the turkey breast be to fit in the slow cooker?
Any turkey breast less than 8 pounds should fit in a standard 6Qt slow cooker. You should have enough room around the turkey breast for vegetables and also for the turkey breast to cook evenly.
How to cook turkey breast in a slow cooker
I always make slow cooker turkey breast with vegetables because they give the turkey breast great flavor and aroma. You can use different vegetables such as carrots, onions, tons of garlic and celery . It’s important to use a generous amount of spices in this recipe so you have a delicious and flavorful turkey breast.
Start with pat drying the turkey breast. Make sure it’s completely dry and set it aside. In a bowl, mix all the spices and add enough olive oil to form a paste. Rub this paste all over the turkey breast and under the skin. Place garlic, onion, carrots and celery at the bottom of the slow cooker and place the turkey breast on the vegetables. Cook the turkey breast on low until it’s fully cooked.
Transfer the turkey breast to a baking sheet and broil in the oven for about 5 minutes until the skin is golden and crispy.
How long should I cook the turkey breast in a slow cooker?
A 5lb turkey breast takes almost 6-7 hours to cook. To ensure that the turkey breast is cooked completely, check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer, it should register at 165°F.
Why is cooking turkey breast in slow cooker a good idea?
- It’s such an easy method. All you need to do is rub the turkey breast with a mixture of spices and then place it on a bed of vegetables. Then leave it to cook.
- It doesn’t take up oven space. You need the oven for stuffing (there is a stove top version here, though), pumpkin pie and sweet potato casserole, so it’s less stressful to have the turkey sit in the slow cooker for Thanksgiving.
- It’s moist and juicy. Brining always works, but if you have a small fridge like I do, it’s not the best idea to brine the turkey. Cooking turkey breast in a slow cooker helps it stay moist and flavorful when it’s ready to be served.
Can I cook frozen turkey in slow cooker?
It’s best to thaw the frozen turkey breast in the fridge first before cooking it in the slow cooker. Since turkey breast is very thick, cooking it frozen might result in uncooked middle and dry out layers.
What to serve with turkey breast
If you’re serving this slow cooker boneless turkey breast as a part of your Thanksgiving, you can serve it with delicious Thanksgiving sides such as:
- Turkey gravy recipe
- Garlic butter mashed potatoes
- Easy homemade stuffing recipe
- Homemade Apple Cranberry Sauce
What should I do with leftover turkey breast?
Notes and tips for cooking turkey breast in a slow cooker:
- Place garlic heads, onion, celery and carrot and the bottom of the slow cooker. This way the turkey breast won’t stick to the bottom of the slow cooker and the juice released from the turkey will make the best gravy.
- If you want the turkey breast to have crispy skin, place it under the broiler for 5-8 minutes so the skin gets crispy. Make sure to check it regularly so it doesn’t burn.
- It usually takes 6-7 hours for a 5 pound turkey breast to cook in the slow cooker. Check the breast after 6 hours with a meat thermometer – it should register at 165F.
- This is a very basic recipe that always makes the perfect turkey breast. It’s good to make this on Thanksgiving day in the morning so it’s ready to serve by dinner time.
Slow Cooker Turkey Breast Recipe
This slow cooker turkey breast recipe is simple method that will always give you juicy and moist turkey breast with minimal preparation. It's perfect for Thanksgiving and the holidays!
- 1 Turkey Breast 4-5 lbs
- 2 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Dried Tarragon
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Fresh Thyme Chopped
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 heads Garlic Cut in half
- 2 Carrots Cut into Pieces
- 2 Onions Cut in half
- 3 Stalks Celery Cut into pieces
Pat Dry the turkey breast, set aside.
Mix onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried tarragon, cumin, fresh thyme and turmeric in a bowl. Then add in olive oil and mix so it forms a paste.
Rub the paste all over the turkey breast and under the skin.
Place garlic, onions, carrots and celery at the bottom of the slow cooker, place the turkey on the vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours until the internal temperature registers at 165F.
Let the turkey sit for 20 minutes and then slice and serve.
- Make sure the turkey breast fits in the slow cooker. This recipe is calling for a 6Qt slow cooker and a 4-5lb turkey breast will fit in that.