Baked sweet potatoes are easy to prepare and are widely versatile. Learn how to bake sweet potatoes in the oven with my easy to follow tutorial. You can serve them plain or with my favorite toppings.
Sweet potatoes are easy to work with and they make the perfect side dish, especially for fall dinners. My roasted sweet potatoes with pomegranates are always a hit thanks to the warm spices used in the recipe. In this quick tutorial, I'm going to show you my fuss free recipe that'll give you creamy and tender sweet potatoes every time.
Table Of Contents:
What Is The Best Temperature To Bake A Sweet Potato?
Depending on the oven, any temperature between 375 degrees F and 420 degrees F would work for baking sweet potatoes. At 375 degrees F, you need to bake them for 65 to 75 minutes, at 420 the potatoes will be ready with 45 to 60 minutes.
Do You Have To Poke Sweet Potatoes Before Baking?
While I have never had a potato explode in my oven, I've heard stories of potatoes exploding. I recommend staying on the safe side and poking them a few times using a fork before you bake them.
How To Bake Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper to make cleaning up easier.
- Scrub and dry the sweet potatoes, then pierce them a few times using a fork and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake them for 45 to 60 minutes. You can tell they're ready once you can poke them easily with a knife.
- Let the sweet potatoes cool for a few minutes, then cut them in half and serve.
There are so many ways you can serve a baked sweet potato as an appetizer or a side dish. I love them with some crumbled feta and fresh herbs. The saltiness of feta works well with the sweetness of the dish. Another favorite combination is tahini and molasses or honey.
You can store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To reheat, place them on a baking sheet, cover with aluminum foil and heat at 300 degrees F for 20 minutes or until heated through.
You might ask how to freeze baked sweet potatoes? Simply scoop out the flesh and transfer it to a freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw and reheat in the microwave or in a pot over medium heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, the skin keeps the sweet potato from drying out therefore it's best to bake them with the skin.
The sweet potatoes are ready once you can insert a knife easily into the thickest part.
There is no need to wrap the sweet potatoes in aluminum foil since the skin will keep it from drying out.
You'll Love: More Sweet Potato Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
- 4 sweet potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to make cleaning up easier.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and pierce them a few times using a fork.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and bake them for 45 to 60 minutes. They're ready once you can easily pierce them with a knife.
- Let them cool for a minute, then cut them open and serve.
- Make sure the sweet potatoes are similar in size so they all bake evenly.
- Serve baked sweet potatoes drizzled with some olive oil, crumbled feta and chopped herbs. You can also top them with tahini and molasses or honey.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven at 300 degrees F for 20 minutes.