This berry crisp is perfect for summer. It's packed with Middle Eastern flavors and is made on the grill, no need to turn on the oven!
Summer desserts are so delicious and bright. Whether you're making classic mahalabia, bastani sonnati (Persian saffron ice cream) or strawberry rhubarb crumble, the flavors are always delightful and they're always the perfect end to a meal. This berry crisp made on the grill is a new favorite of ours that I'm so excited to share with you.
Table Of Contents:
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy: All you need to do is mix and bake! So easy and simple, perfect for anyone who's looking for an easy berry crisp recipe!
- Flavors: Unlike regular berry crisp recipes out there, this recipe is blessed with Middle Eastern flavors such as rosewater and pistachio, making it a unique summer treat.
- Make ahead: This mixed berry crispy is perfect for entertaining because you can prepare the dessert ahead of time and simply grill or bake it right before serving.
- Berries: I used a mix of frozen blueberries, raspberries and black berries for this recipe.
- Sugar: You need both brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Rosewater: It adds a subtle floral flavor to the crisp that goes very well with the berries.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the mixture since the berries release a lot of juice.
- Oatmeal and flour: To make the topping. You can use old fashioned or quick oats.
- Walnuts: To add some crunch to the topping, can be left out if preferred.
- Butter: To bring the crisp topping together. It's possible to use olive oil instead.
How To Make Berry Crisp On The Grill
- In a bowl mix the berries with the granulated sugar, rosewater and cornstarch. Transfer to a cast iron skillet.
- Mix the oatmeal, flour, walnuts, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the berries.
- Cover loosely with a piece of aluminum foil and place the pan on the preheated grill. Grill for 20 to 30 minutes until the berries are bubbling and top is fully cooked.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes and then serve with your favorite toppings including ground pistachios and strawberries.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the berries with rosewater, sugar and cornstarch and transfer to an oven-safe baking dish.
- Make the topping and sprinkle it on the berries.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until the topping is fully cooked and golden.
While berry crisp is perfect on its own, it's also common to serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. If you want to go the extra mile, serve it with my saffron ice cream for a complete Middle Eastern experience.
Storage And Freezing Instructions
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can reheat the leftovers in the oven or the microwave.
To freeze uncooked berry crisp, prepare the crisp in an aluminum container. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. It's possible to bake or grill this dessert from frozen, however keep in mind that the cooking time will be longer.
If you're going to freeze cooked berry crisp, transfer it to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, heat it in the oven at 300 degrees F until fully heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can prepare this dessert and refrigerate it for (uncooked) up to 2 days until you're ready to bake or grill it.
You can use strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or a combination of all.
Both fresh and frozen would work in this recipe. Some prefer frozen berries because they're more economical and also pre-washed.
You can use 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead of butter.
Use gluten-free oats and flour for a gluten-free berry crisp.
More Dessert Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Summer Berry Crisp Recipe
- 4 cup frozen berries see notes
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp rosewater see notes
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the grill to medium high. If baking this dessert, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the frozen berries with the sugar, rosewater and cornstarch. Transfer to a cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the oatmeal, flour, walnuts, butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle this mixture on the berries.
- If grilling, cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil. If baking, there is no need to cover the pan.
- Grill the berry crisp for 20 to 30 minutes until the top is cooked and the berries are soft and bubbling. If baking, bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the top is crispy and golden.
- Top with ice cream, ground pistachios and strawberries.
- You can use fresh or frozen berries for this recipe.
- You can use strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or a combination of all.
- Find rosewater in Mediterranean or Middle Eastern shops as well as online.
- If desired, use 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead of butter.
- Use gluten-free oats and flour to make this dessert gluten-free.