Oven baked sweet potato fries are crispy, easy to make and delicious. With a few tips and tricks, you can make the best sweet potato fries in oven. Serve as a healthy side or a midday snack.
They're still crispy around the edges and so flavorful thanks to the spice mix. If you've tried my Greek baked fries, you know baked fries can be perfect if you follow a few tips!
Table Of Contents:
Ingredients For Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet potatoes: Make sure the sweet potatoes are firm and have no soft spots. It's best to cut them into sticks that are similar in size.
- Olive oil: For crispy sweet potato fries, coat them with olive oil.
- Spices: You can use a variation of spices including paprika, cumin, chipotle chili pepper, coriander, garlic powder, turmeric and oregano.
How To Make Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes. Peel them and cut them into ¼ to ½-inch thick disks. Slice each disk into sticks that are somewhat equal in size.
- Toss the sweet potato sticks with olive oil, kosher salt, paprika and cumin.
- Spread them on a baking sheet in one layer. Make sure the potatoes are not overlapping and don't overcrowd the baking sheet to avoid the potatoes steaming and become soggy.
- Bake in the oven at degrees F for 15 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the fries and bake for another 15 minutes until fully cooked and crispy.
Tips For Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Even size: To ensure the sweet potato fries bake evenly, cut them into evenly sized sticks.
- Coat completely: Make sure they are coated well with the olive oil and spices. You can also use canola, avocado or grapeseed oil.
- One layer: Don't overcrowd the pan and make sure the sweet potato sticks are spread in one single layer and are not overlapping. Overcrowding the pan will result in soggy and soft fries.
- Don't forget to flip: Using a large spatula, flip the fries halfway through baking for them to get crispy on all sides and bake evenly.
It's best to serve homemade sweet potato fries right out of the oven when they're piping hot and crispy. As time passes, they won't be as crispy, but will remain dioicous.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can reheat them in the oven at 325 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or use an air fryer's reheat function.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hot oven works best when it comes to baked fries. I have found 450 degrees F to be the perfect temperature, however, if you see the fries are browning too quickly, you can knock the temperature down to 425 degrees F.
Soaking the sweet potatoes in cold water before baking them will remove some of the starch, resulting in crispier fries. If you have the time, you can soak them for 30 minutes, but I have found this step is not necessarily critical.
You can peel the sweet potatoes or leave the skin on for some extra crispy texture. Both will result in delicious and crispy fries.
There could be several reason that the fries are not crispy including overcrowding the pan. Fries also get soggy if they are too thick, or uneven in size.
You'll Love: More Sweet Potato Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes see notes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Cut off the ends and peel the potatoes. Cut them into ¼-1/2 inch thick disks and the cut each disk into sticks.
- Mix the sweet potato sticks with olive oil, paprika, cumin and salt. Arrange them in the sheet pan in a single layer, making sure not to overcrowd or overlap them.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, using a large spatula, flip them and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until they are fully baked and crispy.
- Make sure the sweet potatoes are cut into evenly sized sticks.
- You can use olive oil, canola oil, avocado or grapeseed oil.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can reheat in the oven at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes or in the air fryer using the reheat function.