Tender and flavorful baked salmon fillet with lemon served with a delicious arugula avocado salad. This baked salmon fillet recipe is baked in a sheet pan.
Salmon is one of my favorite types of fish and we always try to make them with different flavors. One of our favorite salmon recipes is this easy salmon fillet recipe with avocado arugula salad is one of my absolute favorite, I also love teriyaki pineapple salmon, grilled salmon shish kabobs and oven baked salmon with olives and capers.
Why is this salmon fillet recipe a winner?
When someone asks me what I suggest they make for dinner, or for a time when they have someone over, I always start with “salmon and salad”. It’s a winner combination that many love. We are big fans of this baked salmon fillet for a few reasons:
- It’s a simple recipe that doesn’t require any special kitchen skills.
- You can prepare and bake everything in less than 30 minutes.
- Salmon is a healthy option for weeknight dinners which is flavorful yet very easy to prepare.
We try to have seafood at least three times a week. Seafood is healthier than red meat and there are so many ways to prepare it for your meals. This salmon recipe is also naturally gluten free and low-carb.
What do I need for this easy baked salmon fillet recipe
The best part of this salmon recipe is that it’s so versatile. The main ingredients you need are salmon, lemon, salt, pepper, and a bit of olive oil. I also added some sliced fennel and baby potatoes but you can simply just bake the salmon.
How to bake salmon fillets
There is no need to marinade the fish when you make this healthy baked salmon recipe. Simply mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl and brush it on the salmon fillets. Mix the rest of the olive oil and lemon with the potatoes and fennel and spread them around the salmon fillets. Bake at 400F and serve warm with arugula avocado salad.
How long should I bake salmon fillet?
This depends on the thickness of your salmon fillets. It usually takes about 20-25 minutes for salmon to cook properly. Cooked salmon’s internal temperature should register at 145F.
How to check for doneness
First thing to notice when salmon is done is the color. Cooked salmon fillet will be light pink. Second, insert a fork into the salmon to check for doneness. If it’s flaky, then it’s completely cooked.
How to serve baked salmon fillets
One of my favorite ways to serve this healthy baked salmon fillets is with a homemade arugula avocado salad which I prepare while the salmon is baking in the oven. Because of the avocado, this salad has a creamy texture that makes it unique and tasty.
To make arugula avocado salad Mix arugula, tomatoes and cucumbers in a large bowl. Add in diced avocado and mix using two spoons. Make the dressing by mixing chopped shallots, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil and salt in a jar and pour it over the salad. Mix well and serve with baked salmon fillets.
Looking for more fish recipes?
- Pan Seared Alaska Halibut
- Salmon patties with a Mediterranean twist
- Stuffed fish with pomegranates and walnuts
- Pan seared cod with shallots and fennel
- Grilled Halibut with Spicy Mango Salsa
- Honey Lemon Baked Salmon in Foil
Notes and tips to make baked salmon fillet with lemon
- Always make sure not to over bake salmon. You want to salmon to be flaky but not dry. Perfectly cooked salmon has a smooth texture.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container (preferably glass) and refrigerate for up to two days.
- You can use other vegetables instead of potatoes and fennel to make this easy salmon dinner. I suggest broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and onions.
- A little garish can go a long way. You can use chopped parsley, basil, cilantro or dill.
- For best flavor, use extra virgin olive oil to bake salmon and the vegetables.
Baked Salmon Fillet with Lemon
- 2 Salmon fillets
- 1 lemon juice of
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb baby potatoes halved
- 2 fennels sliced
Arugula Avocado Salad
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 Persian cucumbers chopped
- 1/2 shallot diced
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 204C. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat it with cooking spray.
- Mix lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Put the salmon fillets on the baking sheet and brush the fillets with the olive oil lemon mixture.
- Place the halved potatoes and sliced arugula in a large bowl and mix with the remaining olive oil lemon juice mixture. Spread them around the salmon fillets.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- In a bowl, toss arugula, tomatoes, cucumber and diced avocado.
- Mix diced shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and spices. Pour the dressing on the salad.
- Toss the salad with the dressing.
- serve with baked salmon fillets.