This is The Best Shrimp Avocado Salad you will ever try. Delicious juicy shrimps mixed with fresh greens and soft avocados with a drizzle of a terrific sauce make the perfect salad!
I'll take a giant plate of salad any day of the week. Some of our favorite salads are Summer Salads, Mediterranean salad, Greek chickpea salad and Fattoush salad which we have on a weekly basis. If we have shrimp at hand, this salad would be the first thing we make.
What makes this shrimp avocado salad work?
This here my friends, is literally the best shrimp avocado salad ever. And by THE BEST, I really mean the best. I've tried the shrimp avocado combination so many times and even though shrimp and avocado together make a perfect combination, there are so many ways to elevate the flavor.
Alright, let's take a look. First, red onion. Red onion is one of the ingredients that make this salad special. Because of the sharpness of the flavor and the color, it goes so well with both avocado and shrimp.
Next is lemon, not much talking here, lemon makes everything better.
Then comes that famous favorite flavor combo: cranberry walnut. Is there anyone out there who does't like this amazing combination? The subtle sweetness of cranberries and the crunch of walnuts makes this salad so delicious.
The addition of olives might be a simple one, but it's necessary. It adds just the right amount of tanginess and salt that you need.
And the best part of it all: the dressing! The dressing used for this avocado shrimp salad is flavorful and pungent, taking the salad to a whole new level!
What goes into a shrimp and avocado salad
The main ingredients used in this shrimp salad are:
- Cooked and seasoned shrimp
- Ripe avocados (Read more on California Avocado about how to choose the best avocado)
- Red onion (don't use white or yellow onion)
- Spring mix greens
You can simply leave out ingredients that you don't like. You can also use romaine or ice burg lettuce instead of spring mix. To make shrimp avocado tomato salad, simply add 2 sliced roma tomatoes to the salad.
How to make shrimp avocado salad
Cook the shrimp with a little bit of olive oil over medium heat. Make sure not to cook the shrimp too much as it will get rubbery, 2 minutes on each side would probably be enough.
Fill a plate or a bowl with spring mix greens and top with thinly sliced onions, sliced avocados, lemon, walnuts, cranberries and olives. I usually like to have all the vegetables in large pieces but you can also finely chop them.
Avocado shrimp salad dressing
The most important part of this shrimp avocado lime salad is the dressing. I used lemon pepper, herb de provence, cumin, garlic powder and paprika. All these spices are delicious on their own but their combination is better than having them each separately. If you're going to make this salad, make sure you make a big batch because you will not stop eating after a few bites!
Can I make shrimp avocado salad ahead of time?
You can make this shrimp and avocado salad a few hours before serving and mix it with the dressing right before serving. I suggest you serve this salad fresh.
What to serve with this salad
This salad can be light lunch or dinner on its own but you can also serve it as an appetizer or side with dishes such as pan seared halibut, cod with shallots and fennel or salmon patties for a seafood feast!
You can also grill shrimp for this easy and tasty salad. Marinate the shrimp for about 30 minutes and then grill them for about 5-7 minutes.
More delicious and light recipes for you:
- Salad Shirazi - Persian Cucumber-Tomato Salad
- Avocado Lentil Salad
- Orange Chicken Salad
- Summer Cobb Salad
- Tossed Broccoli and Apple Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- Creamy Shrimp Pasta Salad
- Baked Shrimp in Chermoula Marinade
- Shrimp Cakes with Zesty Avocado Dipping Sauce
Tools and ingredients to make Avocado Shrimp Salad:
This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Shrimp Avocado Salad
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 20-25 shelled large shrimps
- 4-6 cups spring mix salad
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 2 avocados
- 2 lemons
- ½ cup sliced pitted olives
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp herb de provence
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute shrimps until light pink, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- In a large platter, spread the spring mix and top with cooked shrimps, walnuts, dried cranberries and sliced red onion.
- Cut the avocados in half, take the pit out and slice each half. Place the avocado in the platter on the salad.
- Slice the lemon and add it to the salad.
- Finally, add sliced pitted olives.
- Pour the dressing on the salad and serve.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, add salt to taste if needed.