Walnut Raisin Coleslaw will be your new favorite barbecue side dish. Crunchy walnuts and sweet raisins give an extra layer of texture and flavor to your coleslaw!
Have you had your barbecue party yet? If not, keep reading because I have an awesome recipe for you!
We are actually not going to have a bbq party this summer because we live in a small apartment. I might be able to use my grill pan on the stove but a gas/charcoal grill is not going to happen this summer. Still, marinated chicken and beef, grilled veggies and awesome barbecue side dishes are definitely going to happen because we are big barbecue fans (Hello, South Carolina, I LOVE you!).
When I had my first barbecue in the US, I had it with a side of coleslaw and that’s when I realized we have the same thing in Iran. It’s a staple at Iranian restaurants, actually, but with some difference. One is that in Iran, coleslaw is actually sweeter (some add sugar to the mayo) and it has raisins.
Now I’m not a big fan of sweeter versions of coleslaw, I like a bit of tanginess and that’s why, for this walnut raisin coleslaw recipe, I added some vinegar to the sauce. It just makes the flavors pop.
Notes and tips to make this raisin walnut coleslaw:
- It’s always best if you let this coleslaw chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
- You can substitute Greek yogurt with sour cream.
- If you’re not a fan of raisin, you can use cranberries.
- Pecans can be used instead of walnuts.
- You can always make your own coleslaw mix using white and purple cabbage and carrots.
I love coleslaw so much, I cannot have just a small bowl. Most of the time, I have a large bowl of coleslaw as a meal and in that case, I change this recipe a little bit and use less mayonnaise, substituting it with the same amount of fat free Greek yogurt. With the right addition of salt, pepper and spices, you won’t even notice there is less mayo in this walnut raisin salad. Enjoy!
More salads and side dishes recipes for you:
- Salad Shirazi – Persian Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Summer Cobb Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Avocado Lentil Salad
- Orange Chicken Salad
Walnut Raisin Coleslaw
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 pack coleslaw
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a bowl, whisk mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, honey mustard, spices and vinegar until smooth and well incorporated.
- Put the coleslaw in a large bowl, add in the sauce and mix well.
- Add in walnuts and raisins, mix well. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Serve cold.