Start you mornings with a dessert-flavored breakfast. Churro waffles are delicious fluffy waffles full of cinnamon sugar, served with some delicious chocolate!
We are leaving Seattle in a couple of days, and a new adventure begins!
When I publish this post, I’ll probably be in New Orleans drowning myself in gumbo and jambalaya. Southern food is one of my favorite cuisines and the reason I love visiting the South.
Since moving to the US, I have experienced many different cuisines and restaurants that I had never tried when I was in the Middle East, including Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Cuban, Peruvian, and so many more. One of my very favorites places to eat are tapas bars, there is something fun about trying many dishes in one sitting that are small in size but big in flavor.
One of the tapas restaurants that we love going to is called Barcelona, it’s in Brookline which is like a 10 minute Uber ride from our home. It’s one of my happy places to eat at because of all the tasty dishes and wonderful drinks and of course, desserts. Their churros with chocolate is so awesome! Crunchy on the outside, warm and delicious on the inside with a perfect chocolate sauce to dip the churros in – it’s a perfect end to a perfect meal!
As you all know by now, I don’t fry stuff. So, when we craved churros, I decided to make churro waffles. They’re very simple, fluffy and indeed full of cinnamon and sugar flavor. I served churro waffles with a simple chocolate sauce and it has become one of my favorite weekend breakfast dishes!
Churro waffles are basically waffles brushed with some butter and sprinkled with a generous amount of cinnamon sugar. You can certainly use any waffle recipe that you like or you can follow this recipe of mine that I’ve been using for a long time: it’s just a standard buttermilk waffle recipe. I love to dip churro waffles in chocolate sauce for every bite, because, well, chocolate!
Enjoy and be happy!
This is the waffle maker I use and love!
- 2 C Buttermilk (Mix 2 cups of milk and 4 tablespoons lemon juice, let it sit for 10 minutes)
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 oz chocolate (I used dark) chopped (or 4 oz chocolate chips)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Mix buttermilk, vegetable oil and eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, flour, baking soda and baking powder to the mixture. Mix until combined but don't over mix.
- Pour 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the batter in the waffle iron and cook for 3-4 minutes, until it starts steaming and the steam is half gone.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- Once the waffles are cooked, brush them with melted butter on both sides and sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar.
- Heat heavy cream in a small sauce pan until just starts to simmer. Turn the heat off, add chopped chocolate and stir until melted and combined.
- Serve churro waffles with chocolate sauce.
You can use 2 cups of plain greek yogurt instead of buttermilk.
I use this waffle maker to make waffles.
This post may contain affiliate links, which won’t cost you anything!