This beet salad is colorful and so easy to make. The addition of feta and zaatar makes this salad a delicious choice, perfect for any gathering.
We love easy side dishes and this beet salad is truly a crowd pleaser with its vibrant colors and unique flavor. Similar to roasted cauliflower salad or butternut squash salad, this delicious beet salad with feta and zaatar makes a nice side to accompany a variety of main dishes.
Table Of Contents:
Ingredients And Substitutions
- Beets: Find beets that are not too big or too small - preferably, all will be the same size so they cook evenly. You can use red beets or any other variety. If you've got extra beets, try our yogurt beet dip, the color is breathtaking!
- Hazelnuts: These add such a nice crunch to the salad. We love toasting them for a deeper flavor.
- Kale: Chopped kale works best for this recipe. Remember to massage the kale well so it absorbs the flavor.
- Feta: Use a block of good feta cheese to add some tanginess to the salad. It's best to use a block and crumble it yourself rather than buying pre-crumbled feta.
- Zaatar: This adds a nice earthiness to the salad and pairs well with feta and beets. You can find zaatar at your local Middle Eastern and Mediterranean stores or online.
- Carrots: For a pop of color and some subtle sweetness.
- Dressing: To make the dressing you need olive oil, lemon juice, sumac and salt.
How To Make Beet Salad
- Cook the beets: Place the beets in a saucepan or a pot and cover them with water. Boil them for 40 to 60 minutes until they are fork tender. Let them cool, then peel them and cut them into chunks.
- Toast the hazelnuts: Chop the hazelnuts - don't worry if they're uneven - and place them in a pan over medium heat. Stir them occasionally until lightly toasted.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl or a jar, mix the olive oil with the lemon juice, sumac and salt.
- Make the salad: Massage the kale with the dressing so it's tender. Toss it with the beets, crumbled feta, zaatar, and carrots. Top with chopped hazelnuts.
Tips For Making A Superior Beet Salad
- Use a variety of beets: You can use golden beets, pink beets, red beets or a combination of three to make this salad more colorful.
- Use gloves to peel the beets: Beets tend to make everything pink or red; just look at our pickled turnips as an example. To avoid pink fingers, use a pair of gloves to peel the beets.
- Make ahead: You can cook the beets up to 3 days in advance and keep them refrigerated until you're ready to make the salad, which will be ready in 15 minutes.
There are so many ways to elevate this recipe. Here are a few suggestions:
- Greens: Use other greens such a spring mix or arugula instead of kale.
- Vegetables: You can add other vegetables such as sweet peppers, olives, artichoke or red onions to the salad.
- Cheese: Instead of feta, you can use goat cheese or blue cheese to add flavor.
- Nuts: Almonds, pecans or walnuts would work well in this salad.
- Dressing: Add 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses or balsamic glaze to the dressing to make it even more delicious!
This salad is best served immediately since the kale wilts if it's massaged with the dressing long before serving. However, if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Frequently asked questions
You can prepare the ingredients ahead of time and assemble when you're ready to serve. Cook the beets and keep them refrigerated for up to 3 days and make the dressing 1 day in advance.
When peeled, you can shred the beets and use them raw. However, they taste better when cooked and have a softer texture.
Yes, To do so, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and wrap the beets individually in aluminum foil. Then roast them for 1 hour or until you can easily insert a knife in them. Let them cool and then peel using a knife.
More delicious salad recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Beet Salad Recipe With Feta and Zaatar
- 1 ½ lb beets washed and cleaned
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon juice of
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp sumac
- 6 cups kale
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1 tbsp zaatar
- 1 carrot shredded
- Place the beets in a pot or a saucepan and fill the pot with water until it comes 2 inches above the beets. Turn the heat on to high and cook the beets for 40 to 60 minutes until they are fork tender. Once cooked, peel then and cut them into chunks.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts. Place a small pan over medium heat and toast the hazelnuts for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a bit golden.
- Place the kale in a bowl and add the olive oil with lemon juice, salt and sumac. Massage it using your fingers so every piece of kale is coated with the dressing.
- Add in the beets, crumbled feta, zaatar and carrots. Toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with toasted hazelnuts.
- You can cook the beets and make the dressing ahead of time, but it's best to massage the kale and assemble the salad right before serving.
- Use a block of feta and crumble it yourself instead of using store-bought crumbled feta which tends to be drier.
- You can use spring mix instead of kale, in which case simply toss the dressing with the salad.
- Find sumac and zaatar at your local Middle Eastern or Mediterranean store or online.
- This salad is best served fresh. Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.