Bloody Cupcakes are fun to make for Halloween. With a homemade raspberry filling, these cupcakes have a sweet and tart flavor at the same time!
The spooky days are very close!
I'm still adjusting to Halloween. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about it but I'm still new to the whole "Halloween Recipe Craze" thing that's going all around the internet. Wicked drinks and cookies and treats, I love them all but it still takes me time to come up with Halloween ideas to share with you. The same thing happened last year when I was late posting this awesome witch's blood Halloween drink, which is actually taking off this year!
But, hey, here is one idea for you: Bloody Cupcakes! Creepy French vanilla cupcakes filled with homemade raspberry filling and topped with vanilla frosting and lingonberry syrup. Simple yet fun, these bloody cupcakes are great for a Halloween party or just for your kids. The best part is the surprise inside.
"These cupcakes will make kids Halloween parties so much fun!"
To make these cupcakes you can either use cupcake or cake mixes or make your own. This time I used French vanilla cake mix because I wanted that super fluffy yet steady texture that would be easy to carve and work with. I also made the raspberry filling from scratch for these blood filled cupcakes. This filling is so versatile, you can use it in many different ways.
Notes and tips to make bloody cupcakes:
- If using cake mix, use French vanilla cake mix to have fluffy cupcakes that are easy to work with. Fill ⅔ of each cupcake liner and bake for 12-13 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- To make the raspberry filling, use frozen raspberries. You can also use the leftovers to make this cheesecake dip.
- Make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled before carving out the top.
- Once you carve the top out, use the end of a small spoon to scoop out some of the crumbs in order to fill the cupcakes with the filling.
- Use any kind of white frosting you like. I used vanilla frosting but cream cheese would work, too.
Looking for more yummy treats?
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Coconut Pomegranate Cupcakes
- Banana Walnut Strudel Muffins
- Marble Cupcakes
- 1 box French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 cup Water
- 3 Eggs
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- 6 oz Frozen Raspberries
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 tbsp Granulated Sugar More if you like it sweeter
- 16 oz Vanilla or Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tbsp Lingonberry Syrup or any red color fruit syrup
- Candy Eyes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, water, eggs and oil until fully combined.
- Fill ⅔ of each cupcake liner and bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (You might need to bake a dozen of cupcakes at a time)
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let them cool completely.
- Place all the ingredients in a small pot and stir. Simmer until thickened and creamy.
- Using a small knife, carve out a small portion of the top of the cupcakes, set the piece aside.
- Using the end of a small spoon, scoop out a little bit of the crumbs so you have room to fill with the raspberry filling.
- Fill the cupcake with raspberry filling. Place the "cap" back on the top and pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Place the eye candies on the cupcakes and drizzle with lingonberry syrup.
Have you made this recipe? Let us know by commenting and rating on this recipe. Take a picture and tag @unicornsinthekitchen and #unicornsinthekitchen for a chance to be featured!