This is my maman's way of making chicken frittata. It requires a few ingredients and can be on the table in less than one hour! Another Persian delight!
It's the day after Christmas! How are you? Have you opened all your gifts? Was Santa nice to you this year?
My first Christmas ever was just awesome. It was perfect, amazing and full of gifts. I got seven things that had unicorns! Including a couple of unicorns that will be featured in my photos soon, a unicorn finger doll which is the funniest thing man has ever made and a stuffed unicorn that just made my day! I also got a candy thermometer which means we are going to make caramel!
On Christmas Eve we had some guests and my mother-in-love made this amazing potato dish that I love as a side dish. You see, every mom has some go-to, super delicious dishes that you just wonder how it comes together in no time and tastes so good!
My maman has this tasty chicken Frittata (Kookooye morgh) that comes together in less than 40 minutes, is very easy to make and everyone likes it a lot! This is something my mom used to make when she was busy or didn't have much time to spend in the kitchen, like these stuffed potato patties or these Persian meat patties, and also for the times we wanted to be more on the healthy, light side of eating.
"Chicken frittata is delicious and healthy!"
Sometimes my maman makes chicken frittata with leftover chicken. In that case the cooking time is even less than what is mentioned in this recipe. So, basically, if you have some leftover cooked potatoes or even mashed potatoes and some chicken, all you need to do is to add some eggs and breadcrumbs to it and voila! your chicken frittata is ready in 20 minutes!
You can add some bell peppers if you want more flavor in it. I usually prefer to make it the way my maman does it: simple and fast! You can serve it with salad and a piece of bread or just have it as a side dish, both are great options!
This is how my maman makes chicken frittata and I hope you like it! What is your mom's go-to meal?
Maman's Chicken Frittata -Kookooye Morgh
- 2 tablespoon olive oil separated
- ½ chicken breast cut into small pieces
- 1 big potato cut into small pieces
- 1 onion cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ cup water
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- Heat a tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Saute onion until translucent.
- Add chicken, potatoes and spices. Saute for 5 minutes until chicken is light.
- Add water and cover the pan. Let the chicken and potatoes cook for 20 minutes until fully cooked.
- Transfer everything into a bowl and mash using a potato masher. (Or just mix everything using a food processor)
- Add eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix until fully combined.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a medium size pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour the frittata batter into the pan, spread it using a spatula.
- Cover and let it cook for almost 10 minutes.
- Flip the frittata (You can cut it into wedges and then flip) and let it cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm.