Try a delicious Mediterranean style Alaska salmon salad recipe that’s perfect for a light lunch or dinner. A tasty salad loaded with flaky Alaska salmon, olives, tomatoes and cucumber and ready in no time!
Isn’t salmon a great ingredient? I love the flaky yet creamy texture and how easy it is to make different flavors of salmon. Some of our popular salmon recipes are baked salmon fillet with lemon, grilled salmon shish kabob, oven baked salmon with olives and capers and of course, our easy Alaska salmon patties. Salmon is so versatile, you can even serve it on a salad like this tasty Greek salmon salad that we have today!
This post is sponsored by Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute. All opinions are mine.
The perfect salad for summer entertaining
When it comes to summer entertaining, I always add a large plate of this Alaska salmon salad to the table. It’s such a time saver and it’s also very simple to make. You can chop the veggie all in advance and arrange them on a serving plate. Then while the grill is on, simply toss a few pieces of Alaska salmon on it and when they’re perfectly grilled, transfer them to the salad plate. Nothing beats a freshly grilled Alaska salmon on a bed of delicious and fresh summer vegetables. Everyone is going to come for seconds!
What goes into a salmon salad?
This Mediterranean style Alaska salmon salad is packed with all the good things! First of all, of course is the salmon. Alaska salmon is perfect for this salad because of its texture and flavor. Alaska’s cold, glacier-fed waters produce some of the purest, high-quality seafood in the world; expertly handled for superior taste and quality which is so important because the salmon is the star of this salad. You can use any of the 5 species of Alaska salmon for this recipe: Sockeye, King, Pink, Keta or Coho. Don’t forget to #AskForAlaska at the seafood counter of your supermarket!
Apart from perfectly seasoned salmon, this salad also has lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and Kalamata olives. To flavor this salmon salad, I made a to-die-for dressing using fresh lemon and dill. Let me tell you, nothing can replace the flavor and aroma of fresh dill when it comes to salmon. The earthy and fresh flavor that’s subtle yet strong is exactly what makes Alaska salmon shine in this salad.
How to make Greek salmon salad
Making this easy salad has three simple steps:
- Prepare the salad ingredients
- Cook the salmon
- Prepare the salad dressing
Wash and dry the vegetables and make sure they’re not wet at all. Chop the lettuce and place it on a plate. Chop the tomatoes and cucumbers and thinly slice the red onion. I used pitted Kalamata olives but the ones with pits work as well. You can use a combination of black and green olives. The olives give a delicious kick and pair perfectly with the salmon.
How to cook salmon for salmon salad
The best part about this salad is that you can make the salmon three ways:
- Bake in the oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the Alaska salmon fillets on the baking sheet and top with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano. Bake for 20 minutes until flaky and fully cooked. Time may vary depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- Pan sear: Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and season the salmon fillets on both sides with salt, pepper and oregano. Sear for about 6 minutes on each side, making sure it’s fully cooked. If the salmon fillets are thicker, cook for longer.
- Grill: Preheat the grill and season the salmon fillets. Once the grill is hot, grill the salmon for about 5-7 minutes on each side. I prefer to use a grilling mat when it comes to grilling salmon.
This time I baked the salmon in the oven, but I have tried this salmon salad recipe with pan seared and grilled salmon as well and all turn out perfectly. This Mediterranean salmon salad is also a great way to use up leftover salmon.
Lemon dill salmon salad dressing
Because of salmon’s rich flavor and texture, a light salad dressing such as this homemade lemon dill dressing is perfect for such salad. All you need to do is to mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt, fresh dill, minced garlic and red pepper in a bowl or a small jar. This is a delicious dressing with just enough acidity and heat to elevate the flavors of this salad.
Notes and tips for this salmon salad recipe
- To make salmon spinach salad, leave out the romaine lettuce and use baby spinach instead.
- For the lemon dill dressing, you can either use fresh or dried dill. Both would work well. If using dried dill, one teaspoon would be sufficient.
- You can add different herbs such as parsley or green onions to this salmon salad.
- Make sure the salmon fillets are not hot when you add them to the salad; otherwise the lettuce would wilt.
- This Greek salmon salad is best served fresh and right away. If planning to serve the salad later, prepare and store each ingredient separately and cook the salmon before serving.
Greek Style Alaska Salmon Salad Recipe
Baked salmon fillets:
- 1 Alaska salmon fillets skin off
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 lemon juice of
Greek Salmon Salad:
- 8 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 Persian cucumbers chopped
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
Lemon Dill Dressing
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place Alaska salmon fillets on the baking sheet and brush them with olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and dried oregano on the fillets and squeeze half a lemon on them.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until cooked and flaky.
- Meanwhile, place the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, sliced onion and kalamata olives on the large serving plate.
- Make the salmon salad dressing by mixing lemon juice, olive oil, salt, dill, minced garlic and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Place the cooked salmon on the salad and drizzle the lemon dill dressing on the salad.
- Serve immediately.