Cinnamon French toast bake is full of flavor. This delicious French toast bake made with Granny Smith apples and French bread and can be made ahead of time.
Apple lovers, where you at? This apple French toast bake is going to make your morning so much better. Just like apple cinnamon rolls and cinnamon apple monkey bread, this recipe is made from scratch and is super easy and simple.
Easy French toast bake recipe
We all love French toast. That slice of bread that’s perfectly brown and crispy on the outside yet creamy on the inside is nothing less than pure deliciousness. This French toast bake made with cinnamon and apple is a popular breakfast item at our home alongside apple pie crepes.
You can also call this ooey gooey flavorful breakfast many things: apple pie bread pudding, apple cinnamon breakfast casserole or apple pie French toast. but whatever you call it, it’s going to taste amazing. So, trust me when I say if you’re going to make this, it’s better to make it for the weekend, with a light blanket and a good book at hand, because that’s how weekend mornings should be spent.
Why this apple French toast bake recipe woks
This is a delicious breakfast recipe works for a few reasons:
- You can make it ahead of time. This recipe calls for 8 hours of refrigeration so you can make it the night before and simply put it in the oven in the morning so everyone wakes up to the beautiful aroma of cinnamon and apple.
- It’s best to make it with a day old bread therefore you can use leftover bread slices.
- You can make it in individual cups too which would be perfect for brunch parties.
Ingredients to make French toast bake recipe
Here is the list of ingredients you need to make this delicious breakfast:
- Bread: I prefer French or Italian bread for this apple French toast casserole. I usually use day old stale bread because it absorbs eggs and milk much better compared to fresh bread.
- Vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar
- Milk: Any kind of milk would work in this recipe. I usually use 1% milk but I have tried it with almond milk and it works just fine.
- Apples: Granny Smith is my favorite because of its subtle tart flavor that matches well with cinnamon. However, you can use any kind of apple for this recipe.
How to make cinnamon French toast bake
Start by slicing the bread and placing them standing next to each other in an oven safe baking dish. In a bowl, mix eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and milk using a whisk until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
Pour this egg and milk mixture over the bread slices. In anther bowl, mix apple slices, sugar and cinnamon. Place the apple slices between bread slices. Cover the dish with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F and take the French toast bake out of the fridge, uncover and let it come to room temperature. Once the oven is hot, place the dish on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
Topping suggestions for apple cinnamon French toast bake
You can top this French toast bake with different topping, here are some of my favorites:
- Chocolate chips
- Coconut flakes
- Almond butter
- Peanut butter
Can I freeze French toast casserole?
Yes. It’s best to freeze French toast casserole after baking. Once it’s cool and at room temperature, tightly cover it with plastic wrap and freeze it. To serve, let it thaw in the fridge over night and heat it in the oven at 350°F for about 25 minutes.
Looking for more delicious breakfast and brunch recipes?
- Baked French Toast with Berry Compote
- Churro Waffles
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Waffles
- Pumpkin Pecan Bread Pudding
- Challah bread pudding
Notes and tips to make this apple pie French toast:
- Use any kind of bread you prefer. My favorites are challah, brioche and French bread.
- Before baking, let the apple cinnamon French toast stay in the fridge for 8 hours. This will help the bread slices to absorb the milk and egg mixture.
- My favorite apples to use for this recipe is granny smith because of a little bit of tartness flavor. Any kind of apple would perfectly work for this recipe.
- You can serve this apple cinnamon French toast bake with maple syrup.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and heat before serving.
Cinnamon French Toast Bake with Apples
- 15-20 slices Day-old Bread I used French Bread
- 5 Eggs
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Milk Any kind would work
Apple Cinnamon Filling
- 2 Granny Smith Apples Cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Coat the bottom of an oven safe dish (an 8x8 would work perfectly) with non stick spray. Place the bread slices standing next to each other in rows, leaving a little bit of space between them.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar until fully incorporated. Add in milk and whisk well.
- Pour the eggs and milk mixture on the bread slices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, stir apple pieces, sugar and cinnamon. Place the apple pieces between bread slices. Press down the apple pieces to fit more in.
- Cover the dish with a plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight.
- After 8 hours, take the dish out of the fridge and place it on the counter. Preheat the oven to 350F. Once the oven is hot, place the dish in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the bread slices are golden brown on top and the apple pieces are softer.
- Top with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- You can use any kind of apple for this recipe including Fiji, Golden Delicious and Macintosh.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.