This Apple Galette Recipe will be a favorite! It features buttery, flaky crust filled with spiced apples and baked to perfection. Serve with a scoop of ice cream and you’ll be in dessert heaven!
Have you ever met a person who doesn’t like apple pie? Or apple galette? I know, me neither!
Apple desserts are always a favorite in our home and we’re always looking for new ways to have more apple desserts. So this apple galette recipe is one that I always use because it’s always time for some apple galette with vanilla ice cream!
Galettes are one of my favorite desserts. I love that they’re so simple and perfectly imperfect. When it comes to galettes, no special skill is required and the possibilities are endless. My favorite for summer is sour cherry galette and for fall, of course, apple galette!
It’s also a great dessert for Thanksgiving. I know thanksgiving is all about pumpkin and pecan pie (yes, I’m becoming more American day by day) but a couple apple galettes will bring more diversity to the dessert table. After all, it’s all about balance, right?
This apple galette recipe is easy to follow and always turns out delicious. You can serve it either with some ice cream or caramel sauce. However you would like to serve it, I bet you’re going to love it!
Notes and tips for this apple galette recipe:
- You can make the crust ahead of time and either keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to a month. If freezing the crust, thaw it in the fridge the night before.
- Almost any kind of apple would work perfectly. I prefer a combination of Macintosh and Granny Smith.
- You can either chop the apples into cubes or slice them. Don’t worry about arranging them perfectly, galettes are all about the imperfection.
- As the crust is quite thin, make sure to check the galette after 25 minutes of baking.
- The amount of sugar in this recipe for the filling is just enough to give some sweetness and not be overly sweet. You can add more sugar to the apples if you prefer.
Looking for more delicious apple recipes?
- APPLE CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST BAKE
- APPLE PIE CREPES
- APPLE WALNUT CAKE BARS
- APPLE CRANBERRY ALMOND CRISP
- MULLED CRANBERRY APPLE CIDER
Apple Galette Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter Cubed and chilled in the freezer
- 5 tbsp Ice Water More if needed
- 3 Apples Granny Smith, McIntosh or a combination of both
- 1/3 cup Dried Cranberries or 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 4 tbsp Chopped Walnuts
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- Whisk flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add cubed and chilled butter to the flour mixture, using your finger tips rub the butter into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add ice water by spoon. Mix gently until the crust comes together. Don't add too much water.
- Transfer the dough to the counter, shape it into a disk and wrap it in a plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for one hour.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
- Wash and dry the apples. Then slice them thinly and place them in a large bowl.
- Mix the sliced apples with cranberries, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, ginger and lemon juice. Set aside.
Make the galette:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Take the crust out of the fridge and place it on the counter.
- Tape a large piece of parchment paper on the counter. unwrap the crust and place it on the parchment paper. Cover with another piece of parchment paper.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the crust to ⅛" thickness. Carefully transfer it to the baking sheet. It's ok if it's bigger than the baking sheet, we will fold the edges.
- Fill the middle of the crust with the apple filling, don't use the juice that the apples have released by now. Leave two inches from the edges.
- Gently start folding the edges inside to cover a little bit of the apples.
- Whisk the egg and brush on the edges of the crust. Sprinkle wit granulated sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the apples are baked.
- Cool the galette on the counter for 15-20 minutes before slicing. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.