Try a healthy chicken salad that’s perfect for a light and easy lunch. This healthy chicken salad is made with a delicious Greek yogurt dressing.
I love having light salads for lunch because they’re so simple and easy to make. Some of my favorite lunch salads are Mediterranean tuna salad, Greek salmon salad and coucous salad. This chicken salad recipe made with walnuts and dill is another good lunch recipe because it’s quite flavorful and fresh.
This post is sponsored by California Walnuts. All opinions are mine.
Take advantage of your “me” time at lunch
As an entrepreneur, I’m guilty of having lunch at my desk. However, I’ve made changes in my routine and I actually take advantage of my lunch time to get away from the screen and have some “me” time, even if it’s only 15 minutes. I take a mental break during lunch which gives me time to refresh and gather my thoughts so I can be productive for the rest of the day.
The reason that many skip lunch or don’t eat a healthy lunch is the time that goes into preparing lunch. However, with just a little bit of preparation, you can easily have a healthy and delicious lunch during the week.
Why this chicken salad recipe works
This light chicken salad is the perfect option for a healthy and quick lunch. It’s a tasty and easy chicken salad recipe with Greek yogurt that is packed with fresh flavors yet is light and healthy. The addition of walnuts makes this a perfect lunch recipe since walnuts are packed with nutrients and also add crunch to the salad.
This healthy chicken salad is a great lunch option because:
- It takes only a few minutes to prepare (you can even take a shortcut).
- You can add your favorite ingredients to it.
- It’s packed with fresh vegetables and is actually good for you.
Healthy chicken salad with walnut and dill
We love this Greek yogurt chicken salad because it calls for fresh and delicious ingredients:
- Chicken breast
- Red onion
- Fresh dill
- Green onions
To make yogurt sauce for chicken salad, you need the following ingredients:
- Dijon mustard
- Smoked paprika
The addition of herbs to this chicken salad gives it such a ]fresh flavor that’s perfect for a midday meal. I can have this chicken salad for lunch any day of the week!
Walnuts in chicken salad
Walnuts are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids which would make them a good addition to any lunch. What I love about walnuts is that they are incredibly versatile and you can use them in different recipes. You can grind them with spices to make plant-based meat or simply add them to smoothies or simply add them to any salad for a bit of crunch. Some of my favorite walnut recipes are marinated olives with walnuts, stuffed eggplants and Persian pomegranate walnut stew called fesenjan.
How to make healthy chicken salad recipe
It’s so simple to make this healthy chicken salad. It involves only a few steps:
- Bake the chicken: Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat it with non stick spray. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides and place it on the baking sheet. Bake the chicken breast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until it’s fully cooked and the internal temperature registers at 165°F. Let the chicken cool completely and then shred it using two forks.
- Mix the chicken salad: Chop all the ingredients including red onion, walnuts, dill, green onions and celery. Mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Make the healthy dressing: In a bowl or a measuring cup, mix yogurt, dijon mustard, paprika, cumin and salt. Add a little bit of lemon juice to balance the acidity and then mix the dressing with the chicken salad. Cool in the fridge for a few minutes before serving.
Can I make this salad in advance?
Yes you can make this chicken salad ahead of time. However, I suggest you mix in the dressing right before serving to make sure it’s absolutely creamy and delicious. It’s best you prepare the chicken and chop the veggies beforehand and store them properly, mixing them right before serving would be easy and the salad will taste very fresh.
How long does chicken salad keep?
Yogurt chicken salad can keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Since this chicken salad has fresh ingredients, I suggest you consume within 48 hours to avoid wilted raisins and veggies. After 48 hours, chicken salad is still edible but may not look as fresh as it does on the first day.
How to serve light chicken salad
When it comes to serving chicken salad, everyone has their own favorite way. Here are some ideas:
- Serve this healthy chicken salad on lettuce leaves, like a lettuce wrap.
- Top toasted French bread with cold Greek yogurt chicken salad to have an open faced sandwich.
- Use classic whole wheat sandwich bread to make a healthy chicken salad sandwich.
- Serve with your favorite crackers or pita chips.
- Stuff a pita pocket and add some greens such as lettuce or arugula for a healthy chicken salad sandwich.
- Simply enjoy it on its own with a big spoon!
Notes and tips to make chicken salad with walnuts
- You can use rotisserie chicken instead of chicken breast to save time. Simply shred a rotisserie chicken and mix it with the other ingredients. If using more than one or two chicken breasts, you might need to increase the amount of the other ingredients and the yogurt dijon dressing.
- Tarragon is optional for this recipe, however, if you find it in your local supermarket, don’t skip it since it makes the salad very aromatic.
- To make healthy chicken salad recipe with Greek yogurt, I usually use 1% yogurt but you can also use whole milk yogurt or non fat yogurt as well.
- You can add other vegetables to this healthy chicken salad such as chopped bell pepper or avocados.
Healthy chicken salad with walnuts and dill
A healthy chicken salad that's perfect for a light and easy lunch. This healthy chicken salad is made with a delicious Greek yogurt dressing.
- 1 lb chicken breast see notes
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon chopped
- 5 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins optional
Greek yogurt dijon dressing
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 400F, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat it with non stick spray.
Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken breast and place it on the baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature registers at 165F.
Let the chicken breast cook and then shred it using two forks.
Place the shredded chicken in a bowl and add in chopped red onion and walnuts.
Add in fresh dill, green onions, tarragon, celery and raisins (if using). Mix all the ingredients together.
To make the dressing, mix Greek yogurt, dijon mustard, paprika, cumin and salt in a bowl.
Mix the dressing with the chicken salad. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- You can use fresh chicken breast or leftover cooked chicken breast. It's also possible to use shredded rotisserie chicken for this recipe.
- Use red grapes instead of raisins if you're not a fan of raisins.
- For a sweeter sauce, use honey dijon instead of dijon.
- If you like your chicken salad creamier, double the dressing recipe.