This Mediterranean style shrimp recipe is bursting with vibrant flavors. Large shrimp marinated with spices, garlic and olive oil, then cooked in a delicious tomato and pepper sauce results in one of the tastiest 20-minute dinners you'll ever find!
Fish and seafood are a large part of Mediterranean cuisine and we've got some tasty recipes to share. One of my favorite seafoods to cook is shrimp: it's easy and quick, and there are so many ways to turn it into a delicious meal. From our shrimp kabob and Spanish garlic shrimp (gambas al ajillo) to sautéed shrimp and this Mediterranean style shrimp in tomato and pepper sauce, most seafood recipes take less than 30 minutes to prepare.
Table Of Contents:
Why This Recipe Works
In addition to having so much flavor, there are a few reasons why this shrimp recipe is a must-try:
- Super easy: Just like our grilled shrimp skewers, his is a simple recipe that a novice cook can easily bring together in no time.
- Healthy: The combination of shrimp and vegetables make this a healthy dinner that everyone loves.
- Perfect for weeknights: Ready in 30 minutes, this would be the perfect weeknight dinner.
5 Tips To Make This Shrimp Recipe
- Use large shrimp: Shrimp tends to shrink a bit when cooked, so it's best to use large or jumbo shrimp to make this recipe.
- Don't overcook: Shrimp usually cooks within 3 to 5 minutes, so make sure not to overcook it because it'll turn rubbery and hard.
- Use deveined shrimp: You can find deveined shrimp in the seafood section of almost any supermarket. If you have shrimp that still has a black vein on the back, make sure to devein it before cooking.
- Opt for frozen: Unless you live in a coastal place where seafood is caught fresh daily, try to purchase frozen shrimp. What you see in supermarkets in the fresh seafood section is usually just seafood that's thawed from frozen.
- Marinate: Shrimp absorbs flavors pretty quickly therefore 20 to 30 minutes of marinate would be enough.
- Shrimp: It's best to use large deveined shrimp for this recipe. You can use tail-on or tail-off.
- Spices: You need salt, pepper, allspices, oregano, cumin, coriander and nutmeg. We're going to use some of these spices for the marinade and the remainder to season the vegetables.
- Vegetables: A combination of colorful peppers, onion, garlic and tomatoes would work for this recipe.
How To Cook Shrimp Mediterranean Style
- Start by marinating the shrimp in olive oil, salt, pepper, allspice, oregano, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion in some olive oil until translucent and a bit golden. Add in the garlic and sliced pepper, followed by the rest of the spices. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add the shrimp, tomatoes and a bit of water to the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes, until the shrimp is pink and curled.
- Top with chopped parsley and more lemon juice if desired. Serve warm with your favorite side dish.
While this is a simple shrimp recipe that calls for a couple of vegetables, there are ways to liven it up. Add spinach, sliced zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower or baby corn to the onions and peppers for more flavor and variety.
This would make a delicious quick dinner that even picky eaters would love. You can serve this dish with a fresh salad such as Mediterranean green bean salad, Greek salad, fattoush, tabouli or good old Turkish white bean salad.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. It's best to reheat the leftovers in a pan with the lid on over medium low heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
It's best to serve this dish fresh since reheating cold shrimp could change the texture of it.
A good seasoned cast iron skillet woks best for this recipe. If cast iron is not available, try stainless steel or a quality nonstick pan.
Add ¼ teaspoon (or more) cayenne pepper with the other spices to the vegetables and shrimp.
More Fish And Seafood Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Mediterranean Style Shrimp Recipe
- 2 lbs large shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 lemon juice of
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion sliced
- 8 mini peppers sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large tomatoes cut into chunks
- ⅓ cup water
- Place the shrimp in a bowl. Add in the salt, pepper, allspice, oregano, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix and let it sit as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion in the olive oil until it's lightly golden, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add in the sliced pepper and garlic. Add the cumin, coriander and nutmeg. Sauté to soften the peppers, this would take about 5 minutes.
- Add in the shrimp and the tomatoes followed by the water (you might need less than ⅓ cup water if your tomatoes are juicy). Lower the heat to medium low. Cook until the shrimp is pink and the tomatoes are soft.
- Serve warm with your favorite side dish.
- You can serve this dish with the following side dishes:
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. REheat in a pan over medium or medium low heat.
- It's best to use large or extra large shrimp since it shrinks a bit when cooked.
- You can use tail-on or tail-off shrimp for this recipe.
- Cast iron skillet works best when it comes to dishes like this, but stainless steel or a quality nonstick pan would also work.