Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble is the ultimate spring dessert. Juicy strawberries and rhubarbs mixed with sugar and topped with a good crumble make this dessert delicious!
Why hello spring days, so good to see you here!
So yesterday, we finally had that “spring day”. You know, the day that sun shines and trees are bright green and there are beautiful flowers everywhere, when you don’t have to wear your winter coat and you can just enjoy being outside in a T-shirt. Yes, we finally had one of those days.
But starting today, we’re going to have rain, again.
I’m OK with that though, because I’m going to make more of my Persian saffron milkshake which is like drinking sunshine and I’m also going to make more of this strawberry rhubarb crumble which is our favorite spring dessert and will be yours, too.
Rhubarb is one of those things that I fell in love with when I moved to the US. I actually got them from Kyle’s grandmother’s backyard. She just gave me a big bunch and I have to tell you, fresh out of the garden rhubarb is way fresher than store bought rhubarb.
Anyway, being about 2500 miles away from them, I had to get my rhubarbs from the supermarket this time to make strawberry rhubarb crumble. This recipe is so simple and quick, you will be making it all the time, because it comes together in 25 minutes!
So just chop the rhubarbs and strawberries, mix them with sugar and place them in a cast iron skillet or any other oven safe dish. Then top with the mixture of flour, brown sugar and butter. Bake for 20 minutes until the top layer is golden and bubbly and then enjoy with a couple scoops of ice cream!
Happy spring to you, my friend!
- 1 1/2 cup chopped rhubarbs
- 1 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Divide the fruit mixture among two small (5 - 6 inch) cast iron skillets or one larger skillet.
- Using a fork, mix flour, sugar and butter in a bowl until crumbs form.
- Top the skillets with the topping and bake in the oven for 20 minute until fully cooked and bubbly.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.