Ready in 30 minutes, these cauliflower fritters are packed with Mediterranean spices and herbs. Serve with some salad and bread for a complete lunch or dinner.
Got some cauliflower sitting in the fridge for a while? I've got the perfect recipe for you! If you've got florets, try this roasted cauliflower soup, and if you have a whole cauliflower, you could make this showstopping whole roasted cauliflower. But, if you're looking for something simple yet delicious, you can also try my cauliflower fritters. I promise you'll buy more cauliflower the next time you're grocery shopping because these are good!
Table Of Contents:
Ingredients to make cauliflower fritters
- Cauliflower: A small head of cauliflower (about 1 lb) would be enough for this recipe. Remove the extra leaves and cut into florets. You should have about 4 cups of florets. If the cauliflower is too big, use the rest to make roasted cauliflower salad or vegetable tikka masala.
- Onion: A small white or yellow onion would work for this recipe.
- Eggs: You need 2 large eggs to make the fritters. They act as binders and will keep the ingredients together.
- Flour and breadcrumbs: I use a combination to mellow down the amount of flour and give the fritters a better texture with the breadcrumbs.
- Spices: A combination of turmeric, cumin, Aleppo pepper and dried mint will make these fritters so flavorful.
- Parsley: Some chopped parsley would add a nice flavor to the fritters.
How to make cauliflower fritters
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the cauliflower florets and cook for 5 minutes until fork tender. Turn the heat off and drain. Place the cooked cauliflower in a bowl to cool for a few minutes.
- Once the cauliflower is cool, mash it using a potato masher. You can also use a fork.
- Mix the mashed cauliflower with the eggs, all purpose flour, breadcrumbs, salt, cumin, turmeric, Aleppo pepper and dried mint. Add in the chopped parsley and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Scoop out about 3 tablespoons of the mixture into the pan and gently flatten it using a spatula. You will be able to fit 4 to 5 fritters in every batch, Fry for about 3 minutes on each side and flip using a spatula.
- Once cooked, transfer the fritters to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Serve warm.
Tips to make the best fritters
- Test a fritter: To ensure the seasoning and consistency is to your preference, fry one fritter and taste it. If it's all good, then start frying in batches.
- Get a hot pan: Make sure the pan is completely hot: this keeps the fritters from falling apart or absorbing too much oil.
- Eggs: You need at least 2 eggs to make fritters, if you test one and it fell apart, then add another egg and a tablespoon of breadcrumbs and try again.
What I love the most about these cauliflower fritters is that they can be easily modified to your liking. Here are a few suggestions:
- Add chopped jalapenos for a bit of a kick.
- Use other herbs such as dill, cilantro and tarragon instead of parsley.
- Add other vegetables such as shredded carrots or grated zucchini (squeeze out the liquid) to the cauliflower.
Storage and reheating
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To serve, heat a pan over medium heat and place the fritters in the hot pan for about 10 minutes, flipping once or twice.
You can also freeze these cauliflower fritters in freezer bags for up to 3 months. It's best to thaw them in the fridge overnight before reheating them.
Frequently asked questions
There are mainly 2 reasons that the fritters are not crispy: first, the pan is not enough and second, the fritter mixture contains a lot of moisture.
I don't recommend baking these because they might dry out and they don't turn out as crispy.
Raw cauliflower yields in fritters with a different texture. The egg and flour measurements in this recipe are meant to be used with cooked cauliflower.
You can use gluten free flour or chickpea flour as well as gluten-free bread crumbs.
Yes, you can make these up to a day in advance and heat them when ready to serve. However, keep in mind that they might not be as crispy. You can also make the batter the day before and keep it refrigerated until ready to cook. Give the batter a good stir before pan-frying.
More delicious recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Best Cauliflower Fritters Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower about 1 pound - Cut into florets
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup breadcrumbs more if needed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 tablespoon Olive oil you might need more for frying
- Bring a pot of water to boil over high heat. Add in the cauliflower and cook for about 5 minutes until the florets are fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the cauliflower. Add in the onion, eggs, all purpose flour, bread crumbs, salt, turmeric, cumin, Aleppo pepper, dried mint, fresh parsley and baking soda. Stir to combine and make sure all ingredients are incorporated well.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Once hot and shimmery, scoop out 3 tablespoons of the mixture into the pan and flatten using a spatula. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden and crispy. Taste to make sure the flavors and consistency is up to your liking. If so, then proceed with pan-frying 4 to 5 fritters at a time.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If the fritter you tested fell apart in the pan, add another egg and 1 more tablespoon of breadcrumbs to the mixture and give it a good stir.
- To avoid soggy fritters, make sure the pan is completely hot.
- Add chopped jalapenos to make the fritters a bit spicy.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To serve, heat a pan over medium heat and place the fritters in the hot pan for about 10 minutes, flipping once or twice.