Mediterranean pizza recipe is the ultimate fresh family dinner that everyone will devour. This is a delicious homemade pizza with tasty Mediterranean toppings that will knock your socks off!
If you love Mediterranean recipes and can never have enough Mediterranean flatbread, caprese pizza or Turkish Lahmacun, you're going to love this Mediterranean pizza. With fresh tomatoes, marinated artichokes and delicious veggies, this pizza is going to be your new favorite!
- Vegetarian pizza just got a makeover!
- What goes into this Mediterranean style pizza?
- What kind of pizza dough should I use?
- Mediterranean flatbread vs Mediterranean pizza
- How to make Mediterranean pizza
- Serving suggestions
- Additional Mediterranean pizza toppings
- Notes and tips to make easy Mediterranean pizza
- More Delicious Recipes
- Step-by-Step Recipe
Vegetarian pizza just got a makeover!
Tired of the usual cheese pizza? You need to try this Mediterranean pizza because it is different from everything you've had before. Here are a few reasons for you to try this pizza:
- It's packed with tasty veggies such as onions, artichokes and tomatoes.
- It's not overly cheesy and has a good balance of flavors.
- You can add or leave out the toppings to your preference.
This pizza doesn't call for a classic marinara pizza sauce on top and we only use olive oil to top the dough. The reason for leaving tomato based sauce out if that we want each topping to shine and deliver its flavor as much as possible.
What goes into this Mediterranean style pizza?
This delicious pizza is made with the following ingredients:
- Pizza dough - You can use store-bought pizza dough or make your own pizza dough at home.
- Olive oil - I always prefer extra virgin olive oil for its rich flavor.
- Spices - You need salt, thyme, black pepper and dried basil. You could also add some Aleppo pepper for a subtle kick.
- Artichoke hearts - Use the marinated ones for more flavor.
- Sun-dried tomatoes - They are usually jarred and you can find them near pesto and sauces at the supermarket. Make sure they're in olive oil.
- Kalamata olives - You can use any other black olives, they need to be pitted.
- Fresh mozzarella - You can use shredded or sliced.
- Cherry tomatoes - Grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes would work.
This homemade pizza recipe is all about the toppings. What's awesome is that you can add as few or as many toppings as you please. We've talked more about Mediterranean pizza toppings below.
What kind of pizza dough should I use?
You can absolutely use any pizza dough or crust that you like, whether that be homemade or store-bought. I always prefer homemade and my favorite pizza dough recipe is this homemade pizza dough recipe. You can also get fresh pizza dough from a supermarket or even use pre-made pizza dough.
Mediterranean flatbread vs Mediterranean pizza
There isn't really a huge difference between flatbread and pizza, to be honest. Flatbread is usually crispier on the edges and overall thinner whereas Mediterranean pizza has a chewier dough and is fluffier on the edges. Both are very tasty and are packed with fresh ingredients.
How to make Mediterranean pizza
- Prepare the pizza dough or use store-bought dough.
- Roll out the dough and place it in a pizza pan. Watch this video to learn how to roll out pizza dough.
- spread three tablespoons extra virgin olive oil on it and sprinkle with salt, pepper, dried basil and thyme. This will give a subtle classic flavor to the base of the pizza.
- Place all the toppings except fresh tomatoes on the dough and then top with slices of fresh mozzarella.
- Place the pizza in the oven for about 15 to 18 minutes until the cheese is melted and the dough is a little bit toasted.
- Top with chopped parsley and sliced fresh tomatoes. Serve immediately.
Honestly, I love this Mediterranean vegetable pizza so much that I can totally have it for breakfast. Just like this quick breakfast pizza recipe, you can break an egg in the middle of this Mediterranean pizza to make it perfect for breakfast. What's a better way to start you day than with veggies and cheese, right?
Additional Mediterranean pizza toppings
Mediterranean diet includes a lot of fresh veggies and herbs. You can always add other ingredients to your pizza as long as it's not too juicy and doesn't release too much liquid. Here are some suggestions:
- Sauteed spinach
- Sliced zucchini
- Sliced eggplant
- Grilled chicken
Notes and tips to make easy Mediterranean pizza
- If you would like to add fresh tomatoes to this homemade pizza, make sure to add them before serving and after the pizza is out of the oven because they tend to release their juice if cooked in the oven.
- For extra flavor use toum (Lebanese garlic sauce) or pesto as a base for your pizza.
- You can make this recipe using regular pizza dough, whole wheat dough or even gluten free pizza dough.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and reheat them in the oven at 250ºF for 10 to 15 minutes.
- I've made this pizza in the oven. However, you can cook it in an outdoor pizza oven or on the grill as well.
More Delicious Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Mediterranean Pizza Recipe
- 1 12-inch pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 4 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil optional
- 1 can artichoke hearts 15 oz
- ¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup kalamata olives pitted and halved
- ¾ cup red onion sliced
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella sliced or shredded
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. IF you're using a pizza stone, place it in the oven.
- On a baking sheet or a pizza peel, roll out the pizza dough to 12 inches.
- Spread olive oil on the dough and sprinkle salt, thyme, black pepper and dried basil on the pizza dough.
- Top the pizza dough with artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, red onion and fresh mozzarella.
- Transfer the pizza onto the pizza stone (if using) and bake in the oven for about 15 to 18 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with fresh tomatoes and chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.
- You can spread some hummus on the pizza dough before adding the toppings if you would like to make it creamier.
- Other additions to this pizza are sliced zucchini or eggplants, bell peppers, spinach or feta cheese.