Ready in 25 minutes, this Dijon salmon recipe is a family favorite. Tender salmon is topped with dijon and herbs, making it super delicious!
We love salmon recipes because they're simple, easy and super quick. Some of our popular baked salmon recipes are honey lemon baked salmon in foil, oven baked salmon with olives and capers and easy baked salmon fillet with lemon. This Dijon salmon recipe is another favorite recipe of ours that's so flavorful thanks to Dijon mustard and fresh dill.
Table Of Contents:
Why this recipe works
Would I say this is the best baked salmon recipe in the world? I think so. Despite being made with simple and healthy ingredients, it's so delicious and flavorful. Moreover, it takes literally less than 30 minutes to put this tasty salmon together, which makes it the ultimate salmon dinner recipe.
- Perfect for dinner or gatherings: This baked salmon recipe is one of our favorite seafood dishes because it's simple enough for a weeknight dinner and tasty for gatherings and parties.
- Easy to make: If you're looking for an easy and healthy salmon recipe that comes together in just a few minutes, then this dish is totally up your alley.
- Best flavor ever: The combination of dill and dijon mustard is perfect on salmon. After baking, it forms a nice crust on the salmon which keeps it moist and flavorful.
- A healthy choice: This salmon recipe is a healthy dinner option that even the picky eaters would enjoy. Salmon is a nutritious protein that you can cook in many different ways such as broiled, baked, pan seared, smoked or grilled. I love making baked salmon recipes because with just a few simple ingredients and less than 30 minutes of my time, I can make a delicious meal that's nutritious, healthy and delightful.
- Salmon: You can use either a side of salmon or a few salmon fillets. The cooking time will be the same since salmon bakes pretty fast in the oven. I usually go with a side of salmon when I cook for a gathering because it looks so pretty on a dinner table.
- Dijon mustard: Use whole grain or creamy mustard for this recipe. You can also use honey Dijon mustard.
- Lemon juice: Skip the bottled juices and use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Finishing touches: Use salt, fresh dill, garlic and capers to add more flavor.
Choosing the right salmon
It's best to get wild-caught salmon when you shop for salmon. My favorite types of salmon for baking are coho, king, and sockeye because of their color and flaky texture.
You can ask the person at the seafood counter at your local supermarket to help you with shopping for salmon to make sure the salmon you're getting is high quality and fresh. Please check out this chart for salmon recommendations from the Seafood Watch Program to learn more about each type of salmon.
- Make the marinade: In a small bowl, mix Dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, dill, garlic and capers. Add more Dijon mustard if needed.
- Slather on the salmon: Place the salmon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a silicon brush, slather the mustard mixture on the salmon. Top with a few lemon slices if desired. You can bake it directly or let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes before baking it.
- Bake: Bake the salmon in the oven for a few minutes until it's opaque and flaky. Serve with your favorite side dish.
You don't need to worry about the salmon going dry in this recipe because the Dijon glaze layer will keep the salmon moist. This means you don't need to wrap the salmon in parchment paper or foil.
This completely depends on the size of the salmon you're cooking. It usually takes between 18 to 25 minutes to bake a side of salmon. Make sure not to over bake the salmon because it will become dry.
I try to under bake my salmon by a minute or two since it will keep baking on baking sheet when it comes out of the oven as the baking sheet will stay hot for a few minutes. When salmon is baked properly, the internal temperature will register at 145°F. Its color will be opaque and it will flake easily with a fork.
We love having this delicious salmon dinner with different side dishes sides such as Greek Potatoes, Mediterranean oven roasted vegetables, roasted radishes, briam, or even Persian dill rice. If looking for salads as side dishes, you can try Mediterranean salad, Turkish white bean salad and Mediterranean potato salad .
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can easily grill marinated salmon. Heat the grill to about 450°F and prepare the salmon, it's best to use skin-on salmon for grilling. Be sure to brush some oil on both sides of the salmon.
Place the salmon, skin side down, on the grill and grill for about 8 minutes until the fish is light in color. Flip once and grill for another 4 minutes and check for doneness.
You can also use grill mats to make grilled salmon if you want to make sure it won't stick to the grill. They're very easy to use and also easy to clean.
Salmon is best to be served and eaten right after it's cooked. However, if you have leftovers, please store them in airtight glass container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. You can add the leftovers to a green salad or turn them into tasty salmon croquettes or salmon patties with a Mediterranean twist.
You can marinate the salmon with the Dijon and olive oil mixture 30 minutes to 4 hours before you're ready to bake.
More salmon recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Mediterranean Baked Dijon Salmon Recipe
- 1.5 lb salmon
- ⅓ cup dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 lemon sliced
- Heat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the salmon skin side down on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, dill, garlic and capers.
- Slather the salmon with the dijon mixture using a silicon brush. Top with a few lemon slices if desired.
- Bake dijon salmon in the oven for 18-23 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. The salmon is ready once it's light in color and flakes easily with a fork.
- I used honey dijon mustard for this recipe but you can also use regular dijon mustard.
- Make sure not to over bake the salmon otherwise it'll become very dry. Salmon is completely cooked when it's opaque and an instant thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers at 145ºF.
- You can serve this dish with salads such as Mediterranean salad or with starchier sides like Mediterranean potato salad or Persian dill rice.
- It's best to consume the salmon the day you cook it. However, you can store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. You can use the leftover salmon in salads.
Adding this to my dinner line up for the week; looks too good to pass up, indeed!
Served this for dinner last night and it has easily become a favorite way to enjoy salmon in our home! So light and fresh; hands down delicious!
I just never get tired of salmon. There is something special about this fish that can't stop delighting! Yum.
This looks amazing and full of flavor! I can’t wait to make this! So excited! My daughter is going to love this!
This looks so lovely! I need to add more fish in our diet, but my hubby doesn't like any other seafood than salmon. I think this is perfect dinner recipe with all those Mediterranean flavors. Thank you for sharing!
This salmon recipe is absolutely amazing! I am so glad I have everything I need to try this recipe!
Salmon is always a favorite and my family loved this flavor combination. This recipe is a keeper!
This is one beautiful salmon dish. I can't wait to try it. I LOVE salmon!!
We had this for dinner last night and it was incredible! I already can't wait to make it again!
Glad you enjoyed this salmon recipe!
I was just telling my hubby that I felt like a good salmon dinner.... your recipe looks perfect for us. Have to try it tonight!
So easy to make and delicious! My family loved it!
It's our favorite salmon recipe as well!
So glad you used capers in this recipe! They are often over looked and I love them so much!
Same! Capers are so good especially with salmon!
I love making salmon for a quick and easy lunch during the week. I can't wait to make this Mediterranean baked salmon.
Wow! What a delicious recipe; the mustard and garlic together sounds amazing!
SO much flavor! A new go-to for sure. Thanks for sharing.
So I was looking for a new baked salmon recipe to spice things up this week and this is the one! Can't wait to try it.
Hope you enjoy it!